What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pants and aileron trim

Roo747

Hey Gang,

just installed Wheel pants and intersection fairings, took off and noticed I needed a significant amount of left aileron trim.

I know it could be any number of things but what would you start with first to change? I was thinking of putting some washers in to tweak the pants left or right as required and see how that goes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Did you align the wheel pants with the weight on or off the gear?
Weight off wheels should provide you with the best alignment.

Hey Gang,

just installed Wheel pants and intersection fairings, took off and noticed I needed a significant amount of left aileron trim.

I know it could be any number of things but what would you start with first to change? I was thinking of putting some washers in to tweak the pants left or right as required and see how that goes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Check the gear leg fairing alignment.

Since this trim change happened with your wheel fairing installation, you could try removing these trim altering fairings one at a time, to see if you can figure out which one is causing the issue - and then re-align it according to plans. It’s not unusual to need some control system trim at normal cruise RPM and airspeed.
I will assume trim input was not an issue prior to your new gear leg fairing and wheel fairing installation was done. If your slip/skid ball is not centered at a normal cruise airspeed and power setting after assuring alignment, then a small rudder trim wedge might be all that is needed.

Thanks for the input. I’ll try removing one at a time. The gear legs are air foiled grove gear so those haven’t changed. I also installed the intersection fairings at the same time so may have a few flights ahead of me to figure this out.

Safe flying

Back