What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle inlet seal question

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
As you can see in the pic below I have a little gap between the air filter and the inlet baffle seal. How would you guys address this? Is it even necessary or will the air pressure seal it up? I though about putting some proseal or something on the filter rubber but I'm worried it won't stick to it. Thanks for your thoughts!

question by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Yes!

As you can see in the pic below I have a little gap between the air filter and the inlet baffle seal. How would you guys address this? Is it even necessary or will the air pressure seal it up? I though about putting some proseal or something on the filter rubber but I'm worried it won't stick to it. Thanks for your thoughts! ...
There is a lot of air pressure there. If you can push this down gently with your finger, it will go down due to the air pressure.

There is a lot of air pressure there. If you can push this down gently with your finger, it will go down due to the air pressure.

Mickey, how do you know?

Note I don't know either. However, if we're spitballing, I'd make four points.

One, at high AOA, as in climb, that particular spot may be subject to separated flow. Since it is the left inlet, separation may be exacerbated by prop outflow (rising blade). Point is, there may not be much local dynamic or static pressure just aft of the lip.

Two, the gap will get larger as the rubber mounts age and sag.

Three, engine torque reaction will widen the static gap.

Four, even in level flight a significant step drop off is not a good thing.

Anyway, it's not hard to improve it. Bend a flange on a length of aluminum strip, and insert it between the glass and the rubber.

Inlet%20Seal%20Fix.jpg

Good points

Mickey, how do you know?

Note I don't know either. However, if we're spitballing, I'd make four points.

One, at high AOA, as in climb, that particular spot may be subject to separated flow. Since it is the left inlet, separation may be exacerbated by prop outflow (rising blade). Point is, there may not be much local dynamic or static pressure just aft of the lip.

Two, the gap will get larger as the rubber mounts age and sag.

Three, engine torque reaction will widen the static gap.

Four, even in level flight a significant step drop off is not a good thing.

Anyway, it's not hard to improve it. Bend a flange on a length of aluminum strip, and insert it between the glass and the rubber.
All very good points, and a clear diagram. I would have thought that at any speed there would be high pressure at that inlet, but I haven't tufted it so am only guessing. It would of course be better to do the fix you suggested.

Thanks for the replies guys, and the great pic Dan! Why didn't I think of that?!? Such a simple solution, I was too focused on the filter and not the baffle. I will get a piece bent and installed.

Back