What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling for VA-146 (Rv-7)

Dave S

So far today I have finished the practice project tool box, with several lessons learned. Now I'm working on the Horizontal Stabilizer. So far everything has gone very smooth. I have enlarged all the holes as required up to the VA-146. Having learned lessons from the tool box, as well as other projects, I figured when I had a question, it was a good time to stop.

It states using the the HS-41APP bracket as a guide drill the holes, but it does not state which size. Up until now, everything except 4 hols has been #30. The exploded view states it uses an AN470AD4-5 rivet.

If I referenced everything correctly that is a #30 drill bit correct.

Thanks for the assurance.

J4MUlcql.jpg

So far today I have finished the practice project tool box, with several lessons learned. Now I'm working on the Horizontal Stabilizer. So far everything has gone very smooth. I have enlarged all the holes as required up to the VA-146. Having learned lessons from the tool box, as well as other projects, I figured when I had a question, it was a good time to stop.

It states using the the HS-41APP bracket as a guide drill the holes, but it does not state which size. Up until now, everything except 4 hols has been #30. The exploded view states it uses an AN470AD4-5 rivet.

If I referenced everything correctly that is a #30 drill bit correct.

Thanks for the assurance.

J4MUlcql.jpg

Hello Dave you’re correct that a #30 drill bit goes with AD4 rivets. A #40 drill bit goes with AD3 rivets. The number after the D dictates the diameter of the rivet in 32nds of a inch. For example: AN470AD4-5, therefore this is a 4/32” diameter rivet or 1/8”. The AN470 tells you it is a universal/protruding head rivet. The D tells you it is a structural rivet which can be confirmed by looking at the head of the rivet and you will notice a small dimple. This is a structural rivet. There was a small time frame years ago when Vansaircraft shipped non structural rivets with their kits. These rivets are easily caught as they have a plain head with no dimple. It was caught, and owners were notified. Just something to be aware of.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks

Bill,

Thanks. I was cruising along and all of a sudden there is no drill bit size listed. I stopped cleaned up a bit, did a few other things. I went back and did the research, but just wanted to double check before I moved on.

Happy New Year, and thanks again.

Ask

Good call to ask first.
Not required but I would recommend a few reamers of the most common sizes.

1 1/2 years later...

As a new -8 builder, I ran up against the same exact question as Dave S a year and half later. I too did my research, came up with the same conclusion and did a lot of busy work, finding I could not pick up the drill without confirmation. Thanks to all of you who ask and answer these questions!

Howdy. The RV-7 plans start you out by telling you everything you need to know; as shown in your drawing above...all parts depicted, "break edges", drill sizes, order of procedure or assembly process, counter sink this, dimple that, etc., etc. As you move on in the build, you may get nothing more than: "Fabricate XYZ and attach to ABC." By then you will have all the skills needed to do it! It is pretty cool!

Back