What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Pitot mast RV-10 question

scorwin

Prob not specific to RV-10, so I threw this here. QB Wings for RV-10, Dynon mast, used their instructions, but unfortunately, even though it says RV-10, I guess its really for the 2 seater crowd. The mast was drilled crooked as shown. Skin is already cut. And I'm about an inch too far from the wing rib for the bracket (required per Dynon). Just extend/fabricate a new bracket?

What does everyone think best way to proceed? I was thinking of match drilling one hole to the new mast and the spar, lining up the rest as best possible. Then remove skin and match drill 2 more holes in the mast/spar. The instructions have 4, but it is not wide enough for the -10.

I have a new mast, but would rather not drill it crooked again...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HKmTUNGzZql8ceOV1yeVqC3kXHPjEgov?usp=sharing

Hope the link works. It goes to my google drive.

Last edited:
Ouch.

I always recommend people fit them to the inspection panel opposite the aileron pushrod. If you screw up it is easy to replace the panel.

New skin?

Patch it?

Someone might have a cunning plan for you. I wish you well.

Ouch.

I always recommend people fit them to the inspection panel opposite the aileron pushrod. If you screw up it is easy to replace the panel.

New skin?

Patch it?

Someone might have a cunning plan for you. I wish you well.

Mounting the Pitot mast to the inspection cover is certainly the easy way to go, but structurally a bad idea. I have mounted several Garmin/ Dynon Pitot tubes using the Gretz and Dynon mounts, very solid. The inspection cover however is a good location to mount the controller.

I clamped and drilled the mast to the spar first, then took some scrap aluminum to represent the skin, drilled it to the spar. Then removed it and clamped it to the back of the pitot mast to figure out where to cut for the mast penetration. After that was done, I could cleco it to the skin and have a template to know where everything was going to line up. I might still have the template if you want to stop by and pick it up, and/or take a look at my setup. We could brainstorm some ideas, just let me know.

Lynn

I can't tell exactly where you are planning on mounting it. You should have easy access to the lines coming from the pitot for service. It also appears that the actual mast is not perpendicular to the spar. You have a couple of choices. Correct the large hole and make it perpendicular to the spar. Create a template to match drill the holes where the bracket mount to the spar, then mount the bracket and match drill the holes in the bracket to the holes you have already drilled in the wing skin. You could then fabricate a brace and a doubler to run between the ribs and attach to the rear of the bracket.
Or
Purchase a new skin and mount it per the instructions next to a rib with easy access.....

Location wise, its in the next rib inboard to the bell crank. Just decided to get a new skin. $125 + shipping. Then I can move it somewhere else.

Prob overkill, could've patched it/used a doubler, but its done.

Back