What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do with "old" FAA registration card?

noelf

Well Known Member
I wanted to add my son as a co-owner of my aircraft. I filled out the FAA Forms 8050-1 and 8050-2 listing myself as the seller and then myself and my son as the purchaser. I sent in the forms with the appropriate fees and received my new FAA 8050-3 Certificate of Aircraft Registration. The new form was received as expected (about a 30 day turnaround).

As I put the new registration card in the aircraft, I saw on the reverse side there were instructions to return the "old" card to the FAA in Oklahoma City. There is a section to mark as to the reason for returning the registration card.

Is this what everyone is doing when buying/selling aircraft? I don't ever recall seeing this mentioned in any of the forums. I'm just curious.

Yes. Sent the old one in. I assume they received it.

And at the purchaser's 1st fuel stop on the way back home, the FAA ramp checks him and....

The new owner had better have a signed copy of the registration application in the aircraft.

This used to be the pink copy when you could get a form that wasn't from a .PDF.

Back