What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E50 Fire Extinguishers?- Any PIREPs??

I have one mounted on my roll bar using the bracket they sell. Haven't had a need to use it (thankfully).

Chemistry is not my thing, so I'll ask the question here... The firefighting agent is potassium nitrate, or so says the product literature.

1) what are the effects of discharging in a confined cockpit environment?
2) what are the effects on aluminum, steel and composite materials?

I'm currently carrying an H3R halon extinguisher. The E50 certainly seems like it would carry many advantages over the halon extinguisher, not the least of which would be that it could be shipped to me by a vendor quite easily, not requiring hazmat fees.

I like "smaller", "lighter", and "cheaper". Throw in "more effective" and these extinguishers look like a real winner, provided their chemical makeup doesn't bring along serious down-side considerations.

1) what are the effects of discharging in a confined cockpit environment?
2) what are the effects on aluminum, steel and composite materials?.....looks like a real winner, provided their chemical makeup doesn't bring along serious down-side considerations.

I agree with all of that, but if my airplane is on fire all I?m caring about at that point is putting that fire out!! ;)

That's interesting....

"Potassium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula KNO3. It is an ionic salt of potassium ions K+ and nitrate ions NO3−, and is therefore an alkali metal nitrate.

It occurs in nature as a mineral, niter. It is a source of nitrogen, from which it derives its name. Potassium nitrate is one of several nitrogen-containing compounds collectively referred to as saltpeter or saltpetre.

Major uses of potassium nitrate are in fertilizers, tree stump removal, rocket propellants and fireworks. It is one of the major constituents of gunpowder (black powder).[6] In processed meats, potassium nitrate reacts with hemoglobin and generates a pink color.[7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

Back