What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX 33ES integration issue with G3x touch

William

Well Known Member
I’m finishing up a complete G3x install on my RV10 and I’m having a problem getting my gtx 33es to talk properly to my G3x or gtn625. I’ve wired the transponder per the diagram in the G3x touch manual page 27-30. Ive setup the rs232 #1 connection going out of the gtn625 to the gtx 33es rs232 #2 as “adsb+Format 1”.

Ive got the gtx 33es rs232 #1 going to the gsu25 rs232 #3.

On the gdu 460 transponder config more page I set the transponder type to gtx 33es. I also have gone through the complete transponder configuration including position integrity set to 1E-7.

Unfortunately in my gdu 460 configurator I see no place to set the gtx33es rs232 Input format to remote and the rs232 output to remote+tis.

On the gdu460 under the transponder config the system has a green check mark but says “waiting for data”.

I see on page 27-37 of the G3x touch installation manual that the transponder is wired completely differently then the way the manual shows it being wired on page 27-30.

Another question I had is On page 27-30 it shows the gtx33es rs232 #2 signal ground as pin #50. The gtx33es manual I’m using shows pin 50 as a altitude ground? The manual shows the serial grounds as pins 51 & 58. So I wired my serial ground to pin 58 which page 27-37 shows as correct?

Lastly ive installed a gdl 50r and wired the 2 rs232 connections to my pfd and mfd respectively. I’ve configured the respected gdu 460 pfd and mfd rs232 connection and confirmed they are talking with a check mark on each display connected rs232. In the G3x touch manual it states there should be a selection in the gdu460 configurator for “data link configurator” only when a gdl is connected. I have this selection but the only thing it shows me when I open it is “mode s address”. Nothing about aircraft type, adsb traffic data, or mode s address type.

All my systems have the most updated software except possibly the gtx 33es as I bought that second hand and since I can’t get it to talk properly yet I’m unable to see what software it’s set to as it blank on the screen even though the system shows it wit a green check mark.

Thanks for any guidance you can assist me with.

Bill

Last edited:
GTX 33ES

I?m finishing up a complete G3x install on my RV10 and I?m having a problem getting my gtx 33es to talk properly to my G3x or gtn625. I?ve wired the transponder per the diagram in the G3x touch manual page 27-30. Ive setup the rs232 #1 connection going out of the gtn625 to the gtx 33es rs232 #2 as ?adsb+Format 1?.

Ive got the gtx 33es rs232 #1 going to the gsu25 rs232 #3.

On the gdu 460 transponder config more page I set the transponder type to gtx 33es. I also have gone through the complete transponder configuration including position integrity set to 1E-7.

Unfortunately in my gdu 460 configurator I see no place to set the gtx33es rs232 Input format to remote and the rs232 output to remote+tis.

On the gdu460 under the transponder config the system has a green check mark but says ?waiting for data?.

I see on page 27-37 of the G3x touch installation manual that the transponder is wired completely differently then the way the manual shows it being wired on page 27-30.

Another question I had is On page 27-30 it shows the gtx33es rs232 #2 signal ground as pin #50. The gtx33es manual I?m using shows pin 50 as a altitude ground? The manual shows the serial grounds as pins 51 & 58. So I wired my serial ground to pin 58 which page 27-37 shows as correct?

Lastly ive installed a gdl 50r and wired the 2 rs232 connections to my pfd and mfd respectively. I?ve configured the respected gdu 460 pfd and mfd rs232 connection and confirmed they are talking with a check mark on each display connected rs232. In the G3x touch manual it states there should be a selection in the gdu460 configurator for ?data link configurator? only when a gdl is connected. I have this selection but the only thing it shows me when I open it is ?mode s address?. Nothing about aircraft type, adsb traffic data, or mode s address type.

All my systems have the most updated software except possibly the gtx 33es as I bought that second hand and since I can?t get it to talk properly yet I?m unable to see what software it?s set to as it blank on the screen even though the system shows it wit a green check mark.

Thanks for any guidance you can assist me with.

Bill

Hi Bill,

After looking into this, we identified an error in the installation guidance. The GTX 33ES is grouped in with the guidance for the panel mount version of this transponder. We will get this corrected for the next revision of the manual. There is no configuration required for the RS232 port (Remote and Remote + TIS), but you will want to use the exact port numbers that are shown in the interconnect drawings. Did the person you purchased the transponder from possibly include the software version of the GTX 33 when you purchased it from them?

Thanks,

Justin

Back