What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electro-Air Electronic Ignition Question

rjbob

Well Known Member
I am replacing my duel Lightspeed Plasma electronic ignition (in my RV-7...IO-360) with a single Electro-Air system alongside a standard magneto.

The Lightspeed unit I'm replacing uses the Hall Effect sensors.

The magneto will be on the left. I haven't yet acquired the mag.

I have already purchased the Electro-Air single system.

Can anyone with (or without) experience doing this offer any suggestions?

THANKS!

Last edited:
What you are going to is the exact set-up I had on my RV-3 w/ an O-320. I had the mag pick-up instead of the external sensor. It was The Bomb. Any particular questions? I wouldn't install a timing advance system w/o a cockpit display of the timing read-out, however.

Mag/ElectroAir

Not sure exactly what you are asking? Looked after a couple RVs with this setup. Both had the MTH installed in place of the right mag, and coil pack on upper firewall. 1 plane had control box on engine side of firewall, other had it inside(ElectroAir recommends inside). Both had MAP sensor in engine compartment (I think now they recommend inside for that as well). I think switches work better for the run up checks of this ignition setup than key switch. I probably have a couple photos I could email to you.
Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

What version?

Bob, what version of the Electroair electronic ignition did you purchase? Is the pickup mounted in the right mag hole or is the pickup counting the teeth on the starter ring gear?

Charlie

Not sure exactly what you are asking? Looked after a couple RVs with this setup. snipped 1 plane had control box on engine side of firewall, other had it inside(ElectroAir recommends inside). Both had MAP sensor in engine compartment (I think now they recommend inside for that as well) snipped
Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Definitely install the control box and preferably also the map sensor inside the fuselage. In the automotive World about 95% of all cars and trucks have the PCM ( powertrain control module AKA engine computer) installed inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The other 5% have the PCM installed under the hood. Guess which vehicles are notorious for PCM failures??? Anything electronic has two enemies, heat and vibration. Under the cowl you have bucket loads of both. Consider putting a blast tube on the coil pack to help keep it cool. That will help extend the life of these components. Try to mount them on the firewall somewhere that will keep them away from the worst heat under the cowl.

Charlie

Be sure the control module and coil pack housings are WELL grounded, otherwise follow the factory install instructions which are straight forward.

Definitely install the control box and preferably also the map sensor inside the fuselage. In the automotive World about 95% of all cars and trucks have the PCM ( powertrain control module AKA engine computer) installed inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The other 5% have the PCM installed under the hood. Guess which vehicles are notorious for PCM failures??? Anything electronic has two enemies, heat and vibration. Under the cowl you have bucket loads of both. Consider putting a blast tube on the coil pack to help keep it cool. That will help extend the life of these components. Try to mount them on the firewall somewhere that will keep them away from the worst heat under the cowl.

Charlie

My BMW has the ECM under the hood. 180000 miles without incident. That said, I wouldn't necessarily expect the electroair to be as hardened as the Bosch units.

Larry

Many auto OEMs have the ECM under the hood over the last decade. Reliability doesn't seem to be an issue in my experience on the better brands. Electronics are much more robust post 2010ish than they were in the 1990s.

That being said, some of the brands of aircraft EIs I've seen are nowhere close in design or component quality to even those 1990 era auto ECMs.

Bob, what version of the Electroair electronic ignition did you purchase? Is the pickup mounted in the right mag hole or is the pickup counting the teeth on the starter ring gear?

Charlie

Hello from Alaska, Charlie!
Thanks for the response.
The system I purchased is the EIS-1 MTH Kit 4cyl Lycoming Ignition.
Just starting to go through the manual and it appears that the pick-up will be in the mag hole.
Bob

Not sure exactly what you are asking? Looked after a couple RVs with this setup. Both had the MTH installed in place of the right mag, and coil pack on upper firewall. 1 plane had control box on engine side of firewall, other had it inside(ElectroAir recommends inside). Both had MAP sensor in engine compartment (I think now they recommend inside for that as well). I think switches work better for the run up checks of this ignition setup than key switch. I probably have a couple photos I could email to you.
Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Hi, Don,
Appreciate the response. Photos would be outstanding...Thank you in advance!
My [email protected]
When you fly your RV-9 to Alaska, lunch is on me!
Bob

I have the Electroair ignition in place of my right mag with impulse on the left mag. I used the MTH and it works very well. Controller and map sensor in the cockpit side of the firewall. Contact me if you have any questions.

I have the Electroair ignition in place of my right mag with impulse on the left mag. I used the MTH and it works very well. Controller and map sensor in the cockpit side of the firewall. Contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the response, Dan!
I'm gonna be shopping for a left mag, plug leads, etc...any suggestions?
Bob

Back