What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 landing attitude

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
An evening team formation training flight gave the opportunity to a photographer to take this shot. It's a picture itself that took my attention thinking to high level of concentration needed in this particular moment. A couple of words about my tail that probably seems too far from the ground, against the perfect "two and a half points" attitude as Vans says. I'm leading a landing of two planes and giving my friend more room needs more ground roll speed. I love how you can manage the RV as you need, it is balanced, quick, solid and a grin maker as a rule.
ps: in the background you can see the HomeBase of our Mountain Search and Rescue team, great guys are there !

IMG_6368.jpg

Last edited:
Luca,

What airspeed do touch down at?

I recently started working on wheeling the little Sonerai II on. It takes about 74 KIAS to make it look nice. Then it takes a little bit before the tail quits flying.
The SII is a little more short-coupled than the RV-8 I suspect. But, the stall speed is about the same in landing configuration.

I land with the same attitude. Makes for a smooth landing. I fly final approach at about 70 kts. with a little power on.

Last edited:
Luca,

What airspeed do touch down at?

I recently started working on wheeling the little Sonerai II on. It takes about 74 KIAS to make it look nice. Then it takes a little bit before the tail quits flying.
The SII is a little more short-coupled than the RV-8 I suspect. But, the stall speed is about the same in landing configuration.

On final at 70kts it?s quite common. By the way each airplane has its own character ;)

I've read 70 knots here and on other places too but I always do my final approach and land between 70 and 75mph. I'm going to have to try faster to see what the difference is.

Back