What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ideal Eye Height

pilot28906

Well Known Member
What is the ideal eye height for a RV-7. I have a booster with my seat cushions and am trying to decide if I should use them. Ideally how high should one sit in a side by side tail dragger?

Thanks,

As high as possible but still have a bit of head clearance below the canopy.

Agreed. My wife used to like a 4? wedge under her seat cushion for the visibility. One morning we hit some nasty turbulence crossing the Sierras. When her head hit the canopy and got a bloody knot I got her a 1.5? lift instead. 3-4? clearance works well.

Tight straps only helps so much when it gets real bumpy.

Agreed. My wife used to like a 4” wedge under her seat cushion for the visibility. One morning we hit some nasty turbulence crossing the Sierras. When her head hit the canopy and got a bloody knot I got her a 1.5” lift instead. 3-4” clearance works well.

Tight straps only helps so much when it gets real bumpy.

I prefer to be higher than a 4" gap but all of the RV's I fly (including my own) have 5 point harnesses.

A 5 point harness... properly adjusted, goes a long way to keeping you down tight in the seat. A 4 point harness allows a lot of vertical movement by comparison.

The crotch strap and lap belt do most of the work restricting vertical movement. The shoulder straps help a little but with the anchor point so far aft of the seat (other than the RV-4 and 8) they mostly just prevent fwd movement (which is also much improved with the crotch strap because it prevents the shoulder straps from pulling the lap belt upward).

Last edited:
I've got the opposite problem, I am afraid I may be a little too close when I do fly my plane. At 6'4" even with the Almost a 14 mod all the way back, I am pretty close to the canopy with my headset on. I think I have an inch, maybe two.

5 point harness so hope I'll be good, otherwise the cushions (at least mine) may get thinned a bit.

Back