What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor hole in the firewall

I just received my engine, Lycoming IO-320 E1B. My firewall (RV-6A project) has the standard box recess in the center of the firewall about 10" high and 8" wide. It looks like the governor is offset to the side and requires a recess over toward the left side. I haven't put the engine and the plane together yet, but it looks like the governor will hit the firewall.
Has anyone had this problem, or am I imagining a problem?

I had the same setup on my RV6 20 years ago, and I think the recess in the firewall was there for oil filter clearance with an adapter. Mine had an O-360 with a CS prop/governor and it fit fine and didn?t hit the firewall. My 360 governor mount was right of center on the accessory case. You said yours is on the left, so I?m guessing that is referenced as you are looking at the firewall facing aft. If not and your accessory case gov mount is actually on the left side, then it?s different than what I?ve experienced, so maybe you don?t have enough room. Better measure unless someone else chimes in with a similar setup.

When I was building the firewall of my RV-3B, I found that the oil filter on its Lycoming straight adapter and the governor did not fit Van's standard firewall recess. I had to extend it upwards for clearance.

Dave

Back