VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Scotchbrite won?t take out the punch/shear marks. One pass with a file will. Not sure it is necessary but I am from the school that all ?mill marks? are to be removed. (The Italian?s where from a different school. You can see every drop and path from the mill of the spar caps, but no airframes where ever lost).

?Break? the burred edge with whatever method you choose. You just want the burr gone (finger test).

The bigger issue I see is over de-burred holes. Again, you just want to break the edge, not chamfer the hole.

I have seen a lot of RV?s that didn?t appear to have any edge work done at all. Sharp edges everywhere, but I have yet to see any cracks as a result. I usually see ?other? build issues in those airframes.
Edge treatment is one of the first things I look at. It shows an attention to detail, and one would hope the builder followed suit elsewhere.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:43 PM

+1 for 90* die grinder and with 3M roloc surface conditioning discs. I use blue for most applications and maroon to remove more material. It really does a nice job .
Old 12-07-2019, 02:27 PM

+2 for 3M Roloc surface conditioning discs. Although I also have 1", 2" and 6" ScotchBrite wheels, I usually start with a file and finish with a blue Roloc disc.

VAF donation made for 2020
Old 12-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post

I have seen a lot of RV?s that didn?t appear to have any edge work done at all. Sharp edges everywhere, but I have yet to see any cracks as a result. I usually see ?other? build issues in those airframes.
Edge treatment is one of the first things I look at. It shows an attention to detail, and one would hope the builder followed suit elsewhere.
Sharp skin edges also promote micro-cracks in the paint along the edge, which leads to corrosion starting on the skin edges. If you're going to over do it, over do it on rounding the edges of the skins. Paint does not like a sharp edge. I have seen some beautifully painted planes that have corrosion starting along all the skin edges. A real shame.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 PM

Default 3M Wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXRbQRAS46A

He says it all
KDTN
PPL-SEL-IR
CPL - In progress
Vertical Stab - In progress
Rudder - In progress
Dues Paid - 2020
https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=cmadams
Old 12-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Where do you guys get your files? Cleaveland used to sell a file set but they no longer do.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Need breathing protection in my opinion

I used the deburring wheel mounted to a Harbor Freight buffer/grinder. Very happy with the combo. HF buffer/grinder got very hot but thru one build, it still performs as new. Of course, you will want to have fine files, curved ones small and 1/2" size, flat ones, 1/2" and 1' or so. FINE grind. I also used a couple of small rat tail files. Be patient - pay attention to detail - this job is kinda like watching grass grow but very necessary.

I highly recommend that anyone doing deburring operations use some sort of mouth and nose (breathing) protection. After using the rotary deburring wheel for a couple of hours the first day, I began to cough. I imagine that I breathed in a few grams of aluminum filings that first day. Your face mask doesn't need to be expensive - I bought a box of 12 'dust masks' from Home Depot - works well.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigspoon17 View Post
Where do you guys get your files? Cleaveland used to sell a file set but they no longer do.
I got my vixen file from Avery or some other aircraft tool supply (I forget which, this was 7+ years ago), but the rest of what I have just came from wherever. I have a set of hand files from Harbor Freight, and a set of small and smaller needle files that I believe I got off Amazon. They've all served me well.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/