What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP requested for SEA/FHR weather in early October

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hi VAF,

I'm considering a RV trip up to the SEA/FHR area in the first or second week of October. Is this a time for feasible flying weather or will it be getting rainy and icy that time of year? I'm instrument rated, but I don't mess with ice.

Thanks!

I'm no expert

I've only lived in the Seattle area for about three years so there are others who can certainly give better advice, but I think you'd be fine. It seems like the low soggy clouds usually come in around November and hang around after that. Due to the water nearby our temps are usually too warm for icing if you are willing to stay at the lower altitudes (terrain permitting of course). December above 3,000 - 4,000 different story . . .

Can’t predict 3 weeks from now, but currently much of the west coast is engulfed in smoke. In 40 years I haven’t seen the Bay area have such poor flying wx.

In general the San Juans are beautiful in September and often well into October. It's "transition time" so it just depends on whether the fall / winter weather decides to be typical, early, or late.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll postpone and make the trip another time---perhaps this spring will be nicer on many fronts!

Back