What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps down on shutdown?

Same here. I like lifting them during roll out to keep the nose up longer. See no need to put them down again. If I didn't trust a passenger enough not to step on them, they wouldn't be invited in for the ride.

Larry

Your comment about lifting the flaps during roll out to keep the nose up longer got my attention. While flying today, I did a few landings, and on two of them, tried retracting the flaps on roll out, and noticed basically zero difference. On my RV-9A, I can hold the nose off the ground until about 33 knots, with the flaps down. On the two landings with the flaps raised on rollout, the nose was able to be held up until 32 and 34 knots.

What has your experience been for you to conclude that by lifting the flaps on roll out, the nose stays up longer?

Conventional flying wisdom says don't touch anything on the runway...

What has your experience been for you to conclude that by lifting the flaps on roll out, the nose stays up longer?

Conventional flying wisdom says don't touch anything on the runway...

I would agree with you if there was a gear retract switch on the panel (though I guess it is good to use standardized procedures across all models of aircraft flown).

Raising the flaps on the RV-6, 7, & 8 will allow for holding the nose up to a lower speed.
I have manual flaps on my 6A and retract them immediately after touchdown. It definitely lowers the speed at which I can hold the nose wheel off.

I have never tried it in a 9A. With the slotted flap, perhaps there is enough through flow that the horizontal tail isn't effected as much as on the plain flap RV's.

Flaps up before start; Flaps one notch before takeoff; Flaps up after obstacle clearance; Flaps down on approach; Flaps up after touchdown; Flaps down after engine shutdown.

Never a flap failure in the RV in over 27 years.

The beauty of MANUAL flaps.

I would agree with you if there was a gear retract switch on the panel (though I guess it is good to use standardized procedures across all models of aircraft flown).

Yeah, I really don’t see the problem with retracting flaps on the runway in an RV. No gear handle to be confused with, and many of us have the flaps switch on the stick, so the eyes don’t move at all to move the flaps. Similar viewpoint with manual flaps. I’d probably be less of a fan when there was both a gear and a flap handle in close proximity.

60 posts about flaps up or flaps down ,love it!:D
Personel choice, there's pro's & con's for both methods, you decide.:)
For me I treat my RV like all other A/C I fly, flaps up once I have cleared the Rwy & have a low cockpit workload.:)

OFF.......

Personally I want to hear the engine when it first starts.

Headset on. I’m already deaf enough, but active noise cancellation off until after run-up. Is that an intermediate answer. :rolleyes:

Ok, how about strobes (ACL) on or off outside the runway environment?

We must all be really bored these days!

Ok, how about strobes (ACL) on or off outside the runway environment?

We must all be really bored these days!

If the aircraft is not beacon equipped, strobes are probably the next best thing. Thus, during the day, on from before engine start to shutdown. At night, nav lights are sufficient (and strobes are annoying) on the ground to indicate that the aircraft is running, or about to be.

So, headset on or off for engine start?
G

Robinson Helicopters recommend removing one ear momentarily after engine start to listen for unusual noises.. main transmission gears, bearings etc... Probably not a bad idea.

Back to flaps...

Am I the only one who wired an electric fencer to the flaps? Keeps pesky people off from them. Use a step up transformer (pun intended), to get enough voltage to jump through shoes.

Quote:
"No way I'm loading with the flaps up. I'm old. All my friends are old. Leaping over the flap is for kids. They go down on final and stay there until the next flight."
-------------------------------------------------

Dan, We are in complete agreement.

The RV-8's cockpit, rear seat, and aft cargo compartment are much easier to reach with the flaps down. It's not news that I painted my 8 similar to Col. John D. Landers Big Beautiful Doll, and yes.... my Beautiful Doll looks much better parked with the flaps down. I even put shinny stainless steel tape on the wear area on the front of the flaps so they would shine just like the Mustangs when parked.

I really don't understand how some believe the flaps aren't safer from damage when left down between flights. At my age, and after twenty years of flying the Doll, I having a hard enough time stepping up on to the wing with the flaps down and out of the way. It's getting harder every year! I wouldn't even try to make the step with the flaps up! I'd be the one damaging them. But like primer wars or nose wheel vs. tailwheel this is ultimately the builder/pilot's preference. I do enjoy all the rationalization going on to support the different opinions.

Tailwinds. Be safe out there!

Last edited:
Robinson Helicopters recommend removing one ear momentarily after engine start to listen for unusual noises.. main transmission gears, bearings etc... Probably not a bad idea.

:eek: How does removing an ear make it easier to hear? (Though I admit those helicopter guys probably have no problem removing body parts with those dangerous swing-wings... :p)

Engine start

One in, one out - Card headset:)

And, flaps down. For all the reasons listed.

:eek: How does removing an ear make it easier to hear? (Though I admit those helicopter guys probably have no problem removing body parts with those dangerous swing-wings... :p)

Haha thanks for the laugh! Removing the ear allows sound to enter your ear hole easier because the dumbo flap of skin that I have may block sounds coming from behind you.. it does make wearing sunglasses more difficult though..

Flaps down

I prefer to retract flaps after landing to prevent possible damage from taxing, (and to not request armed intervention) I lower the flaps after parking but before engine shutdown to utilize the alternator and not draw from the battery. I feel flaps down would not only minimize risk from a misplaced foot, but also if you drop something like a headset, cellphone..etc., it would only be a glancing blow and might not dent the flap compared to a direct 90 degree hit..

If you leave your flaps down (at least on the six) try this first.....

With the flaps full down, give them a firm push like as if your leg pressed against the flap as you were admiring the panel.
Flaps not properly adjusted will pop out from under the wing skin, and if left that way, will be damaged by retracting the electric flaps.
With manual flaps, you can feel the bind and avoid any damage.

Example...... https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=185649

Stepping on the flap...

Some BIG kids (40 year olds...) can't read or understand NO STEP decals either...

Boy is THAT the truth. My starboard flap thus far has somehow survived being stood on by some VERY big "kids" who ignored not only the decal but also express instructions just prior to stepping.

I figure it owes me nothing at this point, really.

Flaps down while parked, to ease entry (7A w/ no step) and prevent damage from fools and children stepping on them when in the up position.

Flaps up prior to engine start, to minimize FOD damage from prop blast on start-up and during taxi.

Flaps down for landing, naturally, then

Flaps up for taxi (same reason...prevent damage from blowing debris), and finally

Flaps down after shutdown, where they'll stay to repeat the cycle next flight.

So two whole "cycles" of down-up per flight. Whoo. Not worried about it, if and when the motor needs R&R, then I'd rather do that than have to repair or build a new flap, including alignment, paint, etc.

Flaps up while parked in the hangar...eliminates unnecessary cycling of flap motor, and I'm long legged enough that the step to clear them is not an issue.

If I've got pax, I'll lower the flaps before boarding.

You guys with your ‘lectric flaps...... with manual flaps - flaps up/flaps down/flaps up/flaps down - takes less than a second each way, I’ve timed it. I don’t have to turn anything on, it never fails, unless I’m dead - and then I don’t care. When I’m parked overnight on a windy ramp - flaps up - takes less than a second. When boarding a grandkid for an amazing flight - flaps down - takes less than a second. What’s not to like about this system?

Doesnt play nice

You guys with your ‘lectric flaps...... with manual flaps - flaps up/flaps down/flaps up/flaps down - takes less than a second each way, I’ve timed it. I don’t have to turn anything on, it never fails, unless I’m dead - and then I don’t care. When I’m parked overnight on a windy ramp - flaps up - takes less than a second. When boarding a grandkid for an amazing flight - flaps down - takes less than a second. What’s not to like about this system?

It doesnt integrate well with Garmin, unless you are named Garmin.

Flaps down...

Generally, I use full flaps for landing and leave them down until after my next pre-flight. Otherwise I have to cycle them down to pre-flight the lock nuts on the push rod. Doing that doubles the cycles from one per circuit to two. I know, it isn’t much, but I’ve already had a flap failure on my -14. Failed in up position, so a no-flaps landing was required. No big deal, but I’d rather not double the duty cycles. I recognize there is a risk of FOD, but my experience so far leads me to preserve my flaps motor and gear over worrying about FOD. As a taildragger pilot, I taxi slowly anyway, which partially mitigates the FOD risk.

I have found that progressive instructions on how to embark/debark are the only thing that works. "OK, put your left hand here, and place your left foot here. Ok, good. Now, put your right foot here on the wing walk. Ok, both feet on wing walk while facing forward. Now..." Etc.

Back