What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 Mounts

Larry

Can anyone tell me if a conical mount engine (O-320-B2A) can be modified easy for a Type 1 Dyna Focal mount?

New mount?

As far as I know, you would need a different case, which would open up all sorts of new fun. Might be easier to get a different mount from Vans. They have both types.

conical

Airport lore her at OGD is that engine shops can weld up the conical holes and then machine case for dynafocal mounts. Personally, I would want to see the strength test report because thats a lot of weld build-up and subsequent machining on a structural part of a casting.

my $.02,
Steve
wings

The mod that Gill is referring to is commonly done. It is an FAA approved process. I wouldn't be concerned with strength issues as long as the mod was done by a certified case overhaul facility to certified standards. I have never seen a case either modified or not, crack in the area in question. That includes engines that have been involved in hard impact crashes. The tubular mount most always breaks first. If you are overhauling the engine and you don?t have an engine mount yet I would highly recommend getting the case changed over. The perceived vibration in the aircraft, with a dynafocal one setup is less than with a conical setup.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back