What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX Battery

For the RV14a builder, using the QB Firewall, Plane Power Alternator that comes on the Thunderbolt 390, did the ETX680 fit without modifying the battery box?

Any other specifics about the install to a G3X System would be appreciated.

Thanks,

For the RV14a builder, using the QB Firewall, Plane Power Alternator that comes on the Thunderbolt 390, did the ETX680 fit without modifying the battery box?

Any other specifics about the install to a G3X System would be appreciated.

Thanks,
The answer is yes for the battery box, though not sure what the relevance the alternator has in relation to the battery box. I have installed the EarthX in the original battery box with no issues.

I would recommend looking at the poll related to the failure rates of the alternator based on brands.
I am using a B&C alternator.

Fit? Almost.
I tried a EarthX and as the photo above shows, the EarthX is a tad deeper and will not drop completely into the box. It may be close enough for you.
I also had to use longer bolts and washer spacers for the cross tie bracket as I didn?t like the bracket end tabs bending inwards as the bolts were tighten.
I was satisfied but the uncertainty of the LiPo holding up to the compartment temperature had me go with an Odyssey again.

R

I was satisfied but the uncertainty of the LiPo holding up to the compartment temperature had me go with an Odyssey again.

They are LiFe not LiPo ... two completely different chemistry's. LiFe is considerably more stable.

Both the Odessey and the EarthX have a 140F recommended max operating temp.

Actually, it's LiFePO4, so you're both somewhat correct. (4 in subscript)

LiFe (or LiFePo4) = Lithium Iron Phosphate
LiPo = Lithium Polymer

My point really was ... avoid applying what you read about LiPo batteries to LiFe batteries such as the EarthX. The LiFe chemistry has proved to be very reliable and safe.

Interestingly .. LiFe will hold constant voltage until fully discharged then the voltage will drop of drastically whereas other chemistry's will gradually draw down the voltage.

I've seen many LiPo's explode :D

4 LiFePO4 batteries in series is a good match for a 12v lead acid.

The fully charged voltage is 3.6v each or 14.4v

And as stated previously, they have a flat discharge curve.

Interesting, Those pictures above happen to be my RV14-A. My Apple iCloud account is the only place I have kept those pics.

That is a EARTHX ETX-900 in the Van's Quickbuild battery holder. Yes it fits fine. I have a 180 hours on that battery currently and it has performed well. The battery weighs 10 lbs less than lead OD680.

LiFe...yep....say what you mean , mean what you say. My error, thanks.
As for the battery box, the photo shows appears to show the battery is not fully seated, as I experienced with my EarthX install into a Vans QB box.
Perhaps my box is flawed from Vans. The OP with find out soon enough.

R

If you can, ditch the battery box for the PC 680 as it is beastly heavy due to it being designed for lead acid. Earth X provides an aluminum solution or fab up a lightweight steel or titanium one if you are concerned about melting temps of aluminum in a runaway case.

Tom
RV-7 with an etx680c in an aluminum battery box

I can confirm that the ETX-900 fits nicely in the stock RV-14 battery box with the addition of a few washers in the bracket for spacing.

I also had to replace the thick foam called out in the manual with a thinner piece.

Last edited:
EarthX battery box doesn't fit RV-14A

If you can, ditch the battery box for the PC 680 as it is beastly heavy due to it being designed for lead acid. Earth X provides an aluminum solution ...

After reading this thread, I thought I'd get ahead of the curve and purchase that made-for-Van's battery box from EarthX, since I'm nearly at that stage of my slow-build RV-14A. EarthX's website stated that the BB-MU box could fit both the EarthX and PC680 batteries, and that the holes to install the box are "identical to the existing 4 sided Van's battery box for the PC680." Well, it seems that although it may fit older RV models, it certainly did not fit my -14A's firewall, as none of the holes match.

I contacted EarthX, and they got back to me quickly and will let me return the box (although I am waiting for a return label - I'll update this post if they don't send it, and/or don't update their website to reflect the incompatibility with the RV-14(A)).

I posted this message so that others know that the EarthX battery box for the -14(A) is NOT the drop-in solution advertised. To be fair, it is a very nice aluminum box (better quality than the stock Van's box); but, it would take a bit of work to make it fit the -14.

_Alex

Solution

So I found that same issue on my 14A. I did some measuring and came up with a solution of installing four k1000-3 nut plates and a reinforcement plate on the firewall. Was a little challenging due to a support angle, but should get the job done.
The Nutplates for the battery box are circled in orange and match drilled into the blank batter box flange.
Battery-Box-X.jpg

This image is from the backside of the firewall since I currently have it on the rotisserie that blocks the front side view. You can see the rivets plugging the pre-punched holes from Van's battery box in the firewall. I figured a doubler plate was in order for the one nutplate that was not on a support angle.

Last edited:
Wow. Wasn't expecting the EarthX to make that big of a difference cranking .. caught me off guard .. nice upgrade!

So I found that same issue on my 14A. I did some measuring and came up with a solution of installing four k1000-3 nut plates and a reinforcement plate on the firewall. Was a little challenging due to a support angle, but should get the job done.
The Nutplates for the battery box are circled in orange and match drilled into the blank batter box flange.
Battery-Box-X.jpg

This image is from the backside of the firewall since I currently have it on the rotisserie that blocks the front side view. You can see the rivets plugging the pre-punched holes from Van's battery box in the firewall. I figured a doubler plate was in order for the one nutplate that was not on a support angle.

Thanks, Jon - that image and description are very helpful. It looks like you moved the battery box inboard a bit, likely to clear the inboard flange of the brake fluid reservoir. Do you happen to know if the new location of the battery box won't impinge on anything from (e.g.) the back of the engine, once installed?

_Alex

Should be good

Based on photos and video I have of other engine installs my location should be good. I haven?t hung my engine yet so no guarantees, but best I can tell it will clear everything.

EarthX's website stated that the BB-MU box could fit both the EarthX and PC680 batteries, and that the holes to install the box are "identical to the existing 4 sided Van's battery box for the PC680."

_Alex

Hello Alex,

Sorry about your frustration with your battery box purchase for your RV-14a and we will update the website with a table to try and make it easy and clear which battery box will work with the Van?s stock battery box that will match the hole pattern provided with Van?s kits.

The RV-12, RV12is, RV-14 and RV-14a have a stock 3-sided battery box with flanges to the inside of the box and a different hole pattern. You do not need to change the battery box to use an EarthX battery with this box. (ETX680, ETX900, ETX900-VNT, ETX1200 all fit) We do however have a new lightweight battery box that is available by mid-November that will be called BB-MU2, that has the exact same hole pattern of the stock 3-sided battery box that comes with the above-mentioned aircraft. It will retail for $89.

The RV-3, 4, 6, 6a, 7, 7a, 8, 8a, 9, 9a and RV-10 have a stock 4-sided steel battery box with the flanges to the outside, in our opinion, the EarthX batteries (ETX680, ETX900, ETX900-VNT, ETX1200) do not fit as they are about 5mm too wide. If you have this box, you would need to change it out. The BB-MU has the same hole pattern as the stock 4-sided battery box for an easy swap.

So to summarize:

? The BB-MU has the same hole pattern as the stock Vans battery box that is 4-sided steel with flanges that are on the outside of the box. Disclaimer: if modified/ customized, we do not know if it will fit.

? The new to be released in mid-November 2019 is the BB-MU2. This new design is based on the stock Van?s 3-sided battery box for the RV12, RV12iS, and the RV14/RV14a with flanges that are on the inside of the box. Disclaimer: if modified/customized, we do not know if it will fit.

Hope this helps clarify things. As always, please don?t hesitate to reach out to EarthX is you have questions! We can be reached at [email protected].

Hello Alex,

Sorry about your frustration with your battery box purchase for your RV-14a and we will update the website with a table to try and make it easy and clear which battery box will work with the Van?s stock battery box that will match the hole pattern provided with Van?s kits.

The RV-12, RV12is, RV-14 and RV-14a have a stock 3-sided battery box with flanges to the inside of the box and a different hole pattern. You do not need to change the battery box to use an EarthX battery with this box. (ETX680, ETX900, ETX900-VNT, ETX1200 all fit) We do however have a new lightweight battery box that is available by mid-November that will be called BB-MU2, that has the exact same hole pattern of the stock 3-sided battery box that comes with the above-mentioned aircraft. It will retail for $89.

The RV-3, 4, 6, 6a, 7, 7a, 8, 8a, 9, 9a and RV-10 have a stock 4-sided steel battery box with the flanges to the outside, in our opinion, the EarthX batteries (ETX680, ETX900, ETX900-VNT, ETX1200) do not fit as they are about 5mm too wide. If you have this box, you would need to change it out. The BB-MU has the same hole pattern as the stock 4-sided battery box for an easy swap.

So to summarize:

? The BB-MU has the same hole pattern as the stock Vans battery box that is 4-sided steel with flanges that are on the outside of the box. Disclaimer: if modified/ customized, we do not know if it will fit.

? The new to be released in mid-November 2019 is the BB-MU2. This new design is based on the stock Van?s 3-sided battery box for the RV12, RV12iS, and the RV14/RV14a with flanges that are on the inside of the box. Disclaimer: if modified/customized, we do not know if it will fit.

Hope this helps clarify things. As always, please don?t hesitate to reach out to EarthX is you have questions! We can be reached at [email protected].

Great, thanks for these details. I appreciate that you'll soon post a table to your website, and likewise that the return process for my BB-MU is going smoothly. (Part of the confusion when ordering was that the box that comes with the RV-14A is technically "4-sided," since one can consider the back, left, right and bottom as four sides).

I was looking forward to using an EarthX battery in my -14A, so it is nice to know that the stock box will work with the four batteries you mentioned. However, please post again when the new BB-MU2 is available for purchase.

Regards,
Alex

Van's hole patterns and battery boxes

After digging deeper into battery box and hole pattern installations, and discussing directly with Van?s aircraft about their past and present battery boxes used in the RV models and hole patterns, we have concluded that with the amount of variables, and possible modifications, etc. we can not assure what EarthX battery box will match your hole pattern in your aircraft. Sorry.

This is what we do know:
1- The EarthX battery boxes will fit the EarthX batteries they are designed for.

2- We have 2 battery boxes, the BB-MU, and the soon to be released BB-MU2, that will fit an EarthX battery and the Odyssey PC680 battery.

3- It is possible the hole pattern will be the same as your current installation, but it is possible you might need to drill new holes in the outside flanges to match up the hole patterns.

Back