What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing the RV-14

On speaking with a Vans rep at OSH, a 200 HP angle valve IO-360 is also usable with the RV-14 since its external dimensions are the same as the IO-390 and would be able to utilize the same firewall forward kit without any modifications.

I do question the benefit of using the I0-390 over a 200hp 360, especially at the price they get for a 390 when I can buy a used 360 (hopefully). Anyone have thoughts on that?

Not directly comparable to prices of a used engine (when you can find a good one), but from what I have heard so far, the OEM price for a new IO-390 through Van's could end up being about equal to the OEM price of a new IO-360 (200 HP).

tryin' it on for size....warning!!!

I made my first pilgrimmage to the mothership last week, picked up a few hats, parts etc.
Even tho' I was late, ( Portland 'no turns' signs are new to me!!! :( they called out Ken Scott who gave my family a personal tour of the facility!
...then out to the hangar, where I sat in the new -14a.

My advice?

Don't!

.....as would be expected with a design as it evolves, it's a whole lot of things I wish my -9a was....but I couldn't help thinking..." aw, man, why didn't he do this one FIRST?" :)

Last edited:
-14 pricing

from what I have heard so far, the OEM price for a new IO-390 through Van's could end up being about equal to the OEM price of a new IO-360 (200 HP).

I emailed Vans and asked when they'd have at least preliminary pricing on the rest of the -14 kits. They replied: "best guess is about $85,000 for the complete airplane. We should have a wing kit price soon, maybe a further kit before
the year end. An IO-390 will probably be a little less than the IO-360 we sell, $39,300." ...so I guess that lines up with what you heard.

Fortunately, I'm not that far along on my 9. If I can afford it the 14 looks like it has stolen my heart (now to see if the wallet can stand the shock)!

Bob

Fortunately, I'm not that far along on my 9. If I can afford it the 14 looks like it has stolen my heart (now to see if the wallet can stand the shock)!

Bob

if I read it right, it really hurts to drop the 9k to start with the wing kit first.

Yeah - I'm doing a little chocking on that one. I sure would like to start the emp first. Of course I can wait, but...

Bob

Yeah - I'm doing a little chocking on that one. I sure would like to start the emp first. Of course I can wait, but...

Bob

Well just means us pay as you go guys pay a little more and go a little less at first I guess :D

Seems like the more I make the further away the dream of building gets but I digress....

RV-14 tail dragger.

OK I'm happy to say I saw the RV-14 at the AOPA convention in Camarillo CA, not the RV-14a. I spoke with the rep who tells me that it not only looks like an over sized RV-6 but with the larger engines performs well, which means if you want the same performance of a RV-6 you need a bigger engine. It even has the tilt up canopy which means you have the same roll bar for protection in case of roll over on the ground. Setting in it really felt great all though visibility over the nose is not as good as the RV-6 and fish tailing will probably be a must which I'm used to in my Stearman anyways. Over all I think the RV-14 will be a big hit but I have to say I'm not ready to get rid of my RV-6 any time soon.

Over all I think the RV-14 will be a big hit but I have to say I'm not ready to get rid of my RV-6 any time soon.

The RV-6(A) is a great airplane (I love mine), and probably always will be.

The RV-14 wasn't designed to replace it (or the RV-7)..... it was designed for people that wanted/needed a little bit more payload capability, range, interior space, baggage space, or easier to build... (or all of the above).

Back