What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming counter weights

Good, easy reference

@Wirejock. (Sarcasm font on) You feeling OK? Never seen you unsure about anything in a post (font off).

Seriously. I was conditioned about galvanic issues in my first job, space shuttle days. This is as good and easy a reference as I've run across. Nothing to calculate. Hopefully someone else finds it useful.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dUUaHSZXvtbSouePA

@Wirejock. (Sarcasm font on) You feeling OK? Never seen you unsure about anything in a post (font off).

Seriously. I was conditioned about galvanic issues in my first job, space shuttle days. This is as good and easy a reference as I've run across. Nothing to calculate. Hopefully someone else finds it useful.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dUUaHSZXvtbSouePA

It's my Superpower!
Actually, I am never sure about anything and assume everyone is smarter than me. Surround myself with experts and I can't fail. Yea, right.:D

Awesome table.
So for my education, which is which on the table? It looks like one way is corrosive and the other ok.

Don't over-complicate it

It's my Superpower!
Actually, I am never sure about anything and assume everyone is smarter than me. Surround myself with experts and I can't fail. Yea, right.:D

Awesome table.
So for my education, which is which on the table? It looks like one way is corrosive and the other ok.

In the real world of nature, there are winners and losers. Everyone (every metal) doesn't get a trophy.

A common application, a stainless screw in aluminum panel:
Start with one of the metals on the vertical (stainless steel). Slide right to the column for the metal it will be contacting (aluminum) . The intersecting block is green, so all is good FOR THE REFERENCE METAL ONLY. The stainless steel will be good but the aluminum will corrode. Reverse the metals (Aluminum on the vertical axis) and it comes out red. Should sound familiar from removing Al access panels.

Ever wonder why aerospace grade steel fasteners are commonly cadmium plated? Look at the chart. It looses to most everything. So the intent is for the plating to take the abuse, hopefully leaving the parent metal to make it's service life. Zinc is more common in non-aerospace applications like heavy steel.

In general (Metallurgist and Materials Engineers, please don't panic), the further the intersection block from the diagonal line the faster the corrosion. May help trying to remember how the graph is applied; Platinum always wins.

Hopefully some of these ramblings will help. You were correct in priming the lead/aluminum interface.

Prime those holes and faying surfaces.

Last edited:
Back