What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-n-Fun - Mystery Photo

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Do you recognize this young man and do you have his contact information...?

This young man wanted to meet Van... his father brought him to the RV-1 exhibit at SnF where he not only found an opportunity to visit with Van, he left with an autographed photo of the RV-1. Seeing that he does his own stunts, we're hoping that someone on VAF has seen him in action and can solve the mystery. What will this young man become?... not sure, but there's a striking similarity between the twinkle in his eyes and the twinkle in Van's eyes.

_DSC4567x.jpg

Last edited:
Mystery Pilot

His name is Max. Max is a multiple paper airplane / lego airplane builder. My wife and I were spectators at his house for an evening airshow last month. He has a bright future.

George Meketa
RV8

I've sent a note to Max's father. I wonder if 20 years from now there will be "Max Aircraft" with 15,000 readers of a MAF website? I wouldn't bet against it !

Mystery

His dad owns a NICE newly painted RV-8. Max helped him fly it down from A-----a.(Not Alabama!)

Mystery Pilot Discovered!

Hello Ernie, George, Glen, and Manaan,
Thank you guys. I am Max's father. Our RV-8 N84JE has just over 600 hours on it. I said our RV-8, because Max owns about half of the 600 hours. At only 8 years old, he is a four time veteran of SNF and a three time veteran of Oshkosh! We have flown together to numerous fly-ins, pancake breakfasts, trips to visit Grandma and Grandpa, and trips to the beach. He has even been to Aurora for a factory tour! He is all airplanes all the time! Like George said he is a master paper and Lego airplane builder. If you ask him today, he will tell you he wants to be a "Boeing airplane designer."

Thank you for taking this photo. I was wondering what happened to that picture. It is one I will always treasure. The RV has been an incredible source of fun, education, and bonding far beyond the airplane itself that wouldn't have been possible without the people behind it and the RV community. Thank you Van and all the employees at Vans Aircraft for designing and producing an airplane that has meant so much to my son and me.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Great story, great picture. I was wondering if this story would unfold. Now I wonder if N84ME is available for Max. Of course it might need to be N184ME by time he is ready. ;)

Thank You !!
to George and others who helped solve the SnF mystery photo.

A special thanks however goes out to Glen Salmon (VAF Humptybump) for recognizing the significance of this photo and for bringing Max's story to the forefront. Thanks Glen! /reb

I've shared Max's story with Van and I expect something special is in the works for Max at AirVenture. Max also has an open invitation join in activities with the 20+ students from Eagle's Nest Projects who will be displaying their newly completed RV-12 (Eagle's Nest-1) and flying it in the "Tribute to Van-Parade of RVs". Eagle's Nest will be represented by students from Jennings County High School (EN-1) and the National Guard Patriot Academy (EN-2).

Note to VAF Moderators >>
Max's story is no longer a 'mystery'; and because it has developed into a significant and heartwarming RV related story, I ask that you consider moving it from 'Temp' to the RV-1 Forum. /reb

Life is good when you're helping others!

Last edited:

Note to VAF Moderators >>
Max's story is no longer a 'mystery'; and because it has developed into a significant and heartwarming RV related story, I ask that you consider moving it from 'Temp' to the RV-1 Forum. /reb

Life is good if you live it!

Moved.

Thanks for the story of Max.

Photo with "Da Man"!

Trip to Sun-n-Fun................. "A lot of Bucks"!
Max's Photo with Van.............."Priceless"!

Hello Ernie,
This is Jerry, Max's dad. I just wanted to let you know that Max and I will be at OSH on Monday before the parade. We may even try to get there Sunday evening. I tried to email you earlier, but I'm not sure it went through. Anyway, please send me a pm when you get a chance. Max is excited about meeting with Van again!

FYI, Max and I have a busy summer with the RV. We led a 7 ship gaggle from Peachtree City, GA to Old Rhinebeck a couple of weeks ago. Trip report to follow. We are going to s. FL next week to go visit Grandma and Grandpa (and go snorkeling in Key Largo), followed immediately by OSH, and finally a trip to San Antonio where he was born to visit our RV friends there.

Take care Ernie and we'll see you at OSH!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Back