What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dye failure on canopy fiberglass

subpar_bucker

Well Known Member
I just finished laying up the canopy fiberglass and unfortunately the view from inside is as green as all get out :( I have the canopy glare shield that I'm going to install later, but there will be sections of the greenery visible after that is installed.

I have gray dye from West Systems now. I'm wondering if it's possible/advisable to sand down close to the canopy these areas that are visible and recoat them with dyed epoxy? Alternatively I can talk to the painter I'm using and see if he can simply shoot these areas on the inside and cover them later.

Any advice appreciated.

At this point I like the paint option better. I feel there is too much risk sanding / grinding all the fiberglass away vs the reward.

I also started with dyed epoxy and it also didn't work out for me. Finished the outside than I taped the inside with electrical tape and painted the plexi. Looks great.

If you?re talking about the seeing the back side of the fiberglass through the canopy plex I just masked off the canopy and spray painted the inside surface of the canopy to cover the area behind the fiberglass.

If you?re talking about the seeing the back side of the fiberglass through the canopy plex I just masked off the canopy and spray painted the inside surface of the canopy to cover the area behind the fiberglass.

My buddy at my airport did this to his too and it looks fine. I can't remember if his was white or the external color of his plane.. just make sure your masking won't let any paint bleed through.. last thing you need is paint on your canopy!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll go with the inside paint option.

Also, if anyone needs gray epoxy dye let me know. It turns out a bottle is enough for 100 canopies :)

Back