What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Tail Support stand

mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, I would like to build a stand that I could support my flying RV7 to hold it in a level attitude while I do work on it. Is there a reason to/not to do this?

I am envisioning a box structure mounted on castors with a fuselage shape cut into it with some type of padding to not scratch the paint.

Anyone have any pictures or ideas that they have done?

Right now I simply lifted the tail by the tail wheel spring and then sat the fuselage onto a straight back padded office chair while servicing the tail wheel.

I'm guessing it would be best to be able to add weight to the the box/stand with a method to strap the fuselage down to the stand/box so that if you were working in the cockpit that you wouldn't cause the aircraft to tip over onto it's nose.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

Mark

Here's ours. A 4x4 braced at the bottom. It has a groove on top to accept the stinger. Was used to build a 7 then a 6. Simple and sturdy. You can rest something heavy on the base, too.

URL=http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/gottawork/media/image_zpskiercmyz.png.html]
image_zpskiercmyz.png
[/URL]

Last edited:
put 4 casters on a 24'' square of 3/4'' plywood.
decide what inside diameter pvc pipe would allow the tailwheel to set in the end securely.
cut the pvc pipe so the plane is level [or what ever you like] now fasten the pvc pipe to the plywood with 4 large L brackets. i think i used 5 or 6'' dia.pipe. nice thing about it is you can easily move the support with your foot while you hold up the tail. i don't have an rv so you may be too heavy to do this by yourself.
simple simple

Thanks so far, but I was looking for something that would go under the fuselage just in front of the Horizontal Stab. Anyone in that department?

Mine's sitting on something similar, 1" water pipe leg 'stubs' ~8" long, sitting on the front cross member; 'backbone' to another (padded) cross member under the bulkhead behind the back window.

But mine is still under construction. for a flying a/c, any particular reason to not just use the tailwheel support?

Charlie

I use a small saw horse padded with a towel just under the tail spring where it exits the fuselage.

What Mel said...

On my 7, I use a poly-something saw horse I got on sale as a one-off from Home Depot, rated at ~350 lbs.

I put a robust furniture pad and an old blanket on it to cushion things.

Works like a champ, and very stable.

Howdy, I would like to build a stand that I could support my flying RV7 to hold it in a level attitude while I do work on it. Is there a reason to/not to do this?
You really asked the same question I had. Why would you want to do this?

In 6 years of ownership, the only times i've needed to raise the tail are to do a weight and balance (twice, but I didn't use a stand either time), and to service the tailwheel (3 or 4 times, but I just put the stinger on the top of a low sawhorse).

What do you (think you) need to do with the tail raised? Asking honestly here, heck, maybe there's more I should be doing...

What do you (think you) need to do with the tail raised? Asking honestly here, heck, maybe there's more I should be doing...

I raise the tail of my 8 every time I'm working in the cockpit from outside leaning over the top longeron. Keeps me from sliding off the wing!

It's much more comfortable to lay relatively level while working in the cockpit.

It's much more comfortable to lay relatively level while working in the cockpit.
Huh. I never thought about that... And i've never seen any of the local RV pilots do it either. I'll have to try it next time i'm working in there.

AB-SO-LUTELY!

I am no spring chicken anymore. Getting onto the wing and into the cockpit is much easier with the tail up.

I also drain my oil that way. The engine sits more level and I get more used oil out.

I just use a saw horse.

Nothing fancy.

:cool: CJ

I use an old office chair with the back removed. Just lift the tail and roll the chair bottom under the aft fuselage right at the stinger mount location.
If I want the -7 level in flight attitude, it takes more height. I took the chair back from the same chair and welded it to an adjustable table saw board support. The metal frame of the chair back can adjust up and down. It rotates back flat and so the curved, padded cradle can be slid under the aft fuselage just fine.
Both have worked for years now. Newer plastic office chairs wouldn?t do as well.

If you want a redneck solution, a 55gal drum with a small piece of plywood over the top to reinforce things works great. Had the solution in use today servicing my tailwheel. Added extra is that it gives you a bit of a working table .

Tom.
RV-7

Back