What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Learn RV-6A Build

Good luck on your build. I am also building a 6A kit from someone that was not able to complete. Give me a shout if you are ever in the southern part of Texas!

Thanks for the support!

We have been busy getting the shop set up and starting to build. Working on the wings and fuel tanks now. Hope to get them finished before Halloween and then on to the control surfaces and Fuse completion. Also got the kit-log up and running.

Here is the link.

http://www.mykitlog.com/AIRCAV

Good luck on your build.
Your work tables look great and may I make one suggestion. cover one table with particle board and then you can drill and cleco right into the table. Its very handy, (maybe everyone does that?)

Table Design

Far North Texan, thanks for the info and I can see how adding that extra layer would be beneficial in being able to simply replace it if needed. I may also build a stand for my dimpler to sit on and flush with the two table tops to have a good surface. I will install those addition tops and then have the proper measurements.

Great info,

Phil

Welcome, Philip! You've got a great head start there.

On the tables, you you drill/carve/mutilate the original plywood top, then sheet it over later. This is what I intend to do, and it saves a sheet of what will be the final surface.

Started the Mutilation already!

Yea, I started the tool box kit tonight and already drilled the top while drilling the hinges and match drilling the front stiffener. I am having fun already all that's left after one three hour session is to rivet it all together tomorrow. Going to buy a new air compressor with a dryer to keep the air tools free of moisture. Also going to do that mod to the benches for my C-Frame. Used it tonight to dimple the tool box and worked great!

http://www.mykitlog.com/AIRCAV

Phil

Rightrudder is right. I do my best to spend at least an hour a day during the week after work on the plane. That is the beauty of having it in your back yard.

I am getting tired of working on the fiberglass fairings on the gear legs. But a little work each day does show progress at the end of the week.

Update!

Completed Horizontal Stab, RW leading edge and 76 nutplates on the RW spar and a couple on the LW leading edge fuel tank strap. Just need to rivet the leading edge to the spar internal and external. So far I have been able to something nearly everyday and about 16 hours each weekend. It's coming along nicely. I did ding my leading edge skin but will fix it at paint time. Still makes my very sad.

Phil

www.mykitlog.com/AIRCAV

You're going to build a nice plane. Every butt-end of 2x4 in your bench picture has the lumber tag on it. Well thought out and very consistent work! Thumbs up!!:D

Enjoy the build!

Nice progress! Yeah, I was devastated too when I put the first sizable ding on my horiz. stab. But once I resigned myself to the fact my RV was not going to be the "perfect" airplane, the build became that much less stressful.

Back