What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N542TM RV-9A

Mike.Smith

I am just beginning. I bought a second hand kit that was previously started, but just barely. Step one is building the front spar of the HS. Can some of you with a more trained eye take a look at these stiffeners and tell me if this looks like ok work? I think it is, but I know nothing yet. It appears to me that the front and rear spars and stiffeners have been match drilled and that?s it. I added some photos of the stiffeners here, https://myeaa.org/?myproject&proj=7VvSW61l7&add

I would appreciate any opinions. If anyone one would like to see something else, let me know and I?ll add it. Thanks all.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it does look like the deburring of the holes is rather aggressive. They look slightly countersunk in some of the angles of the photos. It should be fine, I think.

Photos

The light in the shop is harsh. I?ll try to get better ones tomorrow. Thank you for the reply, I hadn?t even considered the deburring. It honestly feels like no deburring has been done, there are some pretty good edges on many of the holes. Another question, assuming the stiffeners or ok, is there any harm in making sure everything is match drilled by running a bit through them? Spars and stiffeners.

Just me

Instead of running a bit thru them, i think it would be better to place rivets in the holes. If the rivets fit in, great you are good to go. If they dont, then the holes have not been final drilled yet, or the doublers are not aligned properly.

Running a drill may figure eight the holes and make them too large in a critical location. JMHO

Airplane parts!

Tonight was the first time actually working on airplane parts. As I said upthread, I bought a secondhand kit and I?m still trying to figure out exactly where the other guy left off. I think I have it figured out now thanks to Bruce Hill, thank you for the help kind Sir! I have all the HS clecoed and I believe I know how to proceed. I have some drilling to do, deburring, priming then back together to start riveting. Feeling better. (No one remind me how long this is going to take)

Welcome Mike,
Im working on a second hand kit myself and, your right, you have to be careful. I replaced my HS spar and all attaching parts, tip ribs, and the left HS skin due to bad alignment, dents and holes where they don't go. My fuse kit is set to ship in October. Im looking forward to starting my own "new" kit so all the mistakes are MINE!!
:D
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=170479

Back