What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke system on/ off switch guestion.

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Plan A stick grip mod. If that is not possible. Plan B. Switch mounted near throttle. Question. Ideally I would like to set up a paddle type lighted stem (on/off) and have a spring loaded throw. I would mount it so I could throw the switch to the left to turn on, switch would return to center. Then same action ( throw to the left ) to turn off. Is this idea possible with the appropriate relay/ switch combo? Haven?t been able to find a lighted paddle switch that does this.
Thanks.

A formation team I work with: the smoke system first requires it to be armed and then next is "smoke on". All have the switches on either throttle or stick. For formation work, all eyes are always on the other aircraft so no chance to look inside for the switches.

Hi Mike,

I also wanted something similar. I couldn't find one so I rolled my own. Here is how I programmed it to work. It also has a connection to the audio panel to give you feedback that the system is on.

1) When you turn the main "Smoke Arm" switch on, the controller beep two times (connection to the audio panel) letting you know it is armed.

2) If you press the button on the stick twice within 1/2 second, it turns the smoke on.

3) When the smoke is on, the controller beeps once every 2 seconds letting you know the smoke is on.

4) Depressing the button on the stick once disengages the system. Audio feedback of a few consecutive beeps lets you know the smoke system is off.

DSCN7134.JPG

DSCN7135.JPG

DSCN7137.JPG

If you want to know more, email me at mike [at] rvplane [dot] com.

I have a three position toggle switch on Infinity grip at top of grip activated by my thumb. Forward is spring loaded to center (off) position for short bursts. Aft is "on." As stated above I have an "arm" switch on the top of the instrument panel with a blue "armed" light and an amber "on" light.

Call Marvin at Smoke System Helper. I believe he may have something new that might meet your requirements.

Smoke safety

Definitely on the infinity grip - best where you have to reach across the coolie hat. See lots of folks accidentally activare theirs while doing other functions.

Audio Beeper - very cool - nice to have!

Definitely- Arm switch
Light high center when it is in stby and ON

Impact switch- same as in auto gas tank so if you have an accident it cuts off and won't pump anymore smoke oil. Needs to be accessible from inside cockpit so you can reset it if need be.

Very effective in the traffic pattern for others to get a visual on you. Just plain fun to have! My smoke system and horn are two of my favorite things I have on my RV!

Smoke - ON!

I made mine on throttle

I used the pushbutton that came with my smoke system, and made a tubular throttle handle with the button in the end. Easy to run the wire down the throttle lever and hardly even see it. Works great, and the main switch is just forward of the throttle under the panel lip if I want to flip it to continuous on position. My stick grip already has 4 way trim and flaps along with PTT, so no more clutter needed on it.

Our local group does a fair amount of formation/smoke. I know at least 2 of us mounted the switch between the throttle and mixture cable. Super easy to reach while you are on the throttle doing formation, no need to look down.

Plan A stick grip mod. If that is not possible. Plan B. Switch mounted near throttle. Question. Ideally I would like to set up a paddle type lighted stem (on/off) and have a spring loaded throw. I would mount it so I could throw the switch to the left to turn on, switch would return to center. Then same action ( throw to the left ) to turn off. Is this idea possible with the appropriate relay/ switch combo? Haven’t been able to find a lighted paddle switch that does this.
Thanks.

Hi, Mike
I have a side-by-side airplane like yours and would recommend a simple guarded toggle next to your throttle. Your index finger naturally rests on the guard... You can flip the guard down when time to "arm" the smoke, and then just flip the toggle down for smoke. When the "smoke off" call comes, simply flip the guard back up to stop the smoke. No relays required. Easy and effective.
Smoke%20Switch-M.jpg

Standby%20Smoke-M.jpg

Last edited:
Back