What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel cap O ring

Ive searched the site with no luck

Anyone know the part number for the older large black o ring on the older fuel caps?

Thanks
Cm

I have purchased o-rings from Van's but they were brown...not sure if I have a different cap than you...here's the cap and parts I have...

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?browse=am&product=fuel-cap

On another note...if you leave the fuel cap tabs up does it create a vortex fence that prevents span wise flow and therefor increase lift...asking for a friend.

Last edited:
From Vans Website.

The O-rings and stem seals around the fuel caps and cap center shafts don't last forever. When they wear, water may leak in with nasty results. Two styles of O-rings have been supplied in RV kits. They are not interchangeable. They are easily identified by color: older O-rings are black, newer ones are brown. The brown O-rings are generally auto fuel resistant, but their tolerance for the newer oxygenated auto fuels is unknown. The older (black) O-rings are no longer available. Upgrading to the newer O-rings requires replacing the fuel cap. New fuel caps with brown O-rings are available and fit all thereceptacles installed in the tanks.
CAUTION! If the T-406A replacement cap is to be used on the RV-12, it must be modified in accordance with the RV-12 construction manual (Section 37) to allow venting.
That said; I bet a dollar that the older Black O-Rings are available & someone in the vast RV community will respond with the AN or MS Part number.

Back