What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Trim question

Kiwi.Paul

I'm New Here
Hi Guys
Im currently building the HS for my RV7. The plans note a 5/8 hole to be drilled in the front spa for the trim cable.
I am using the electric trim option so is this needed for the electrical wiring or is this normally routed elsewhere?
Cheers
Paul

Electric trim wiring

No need to drill that hole - many run the wiring out through the existing ? hole in the rear spar that’s directly behind the trim motor, or through the end inboard rib of the elevator.
HTH

Paul, i recommend to drill all holes necessary for manual trim. It doesn't hurt and it makes things easier if you wanna change to manual trim later.

Hi Guys
Im currently building the HS for my RV7. The plans note a 5/8 hole to be drilled in the front spa for the trim cable.
I am using the electric trim option so is this needed for the electrical wiring or is this normally routed elsewhere?
Cheers
Paul

I am installing the trim wiring this weekend. I only route the wiring through the existing holes predrilled into the fuselage frames. Just delay drilling any new hole until you are ready to run the wiring, that is just before you close the fuselage. You will find there are plenty of places to route the wiring after all the assemblies are completed

Elevator trim wiring

Please click on the links below for a view of the system I have used. You will notice that I have brought the trim wires out through the rib of the elevator.

I joined the short wires exiting from the elevator initially with D-Subs and then used a 9 pin connector to enable easy removal of the elevator.

The wiring length after the P-Clamps allows sufficient movement without the wire contacting against any part of the aircraft.

Hint: In the initial joining of the harnesses use differing lengths so that the joins are not all at the same location to minimise wiring thickness at the join location.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141779426@N07/36778987024

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141779426@N07/37488428081

I agree with Kay to drill the holes in case you change your mind later in life. I drill out all optional holes...step option, electric trim option, extra wing spar hope option for wires, etc. Makes the plane lighter...:)

Back