What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Adjustment Arm

Lynnb

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a number or source for a longer adjustment arm for a plane power alternator? As it is, I don't have but a 1/4" of adjustment before it is maxed out, it will work for now, but I figure the belt will eventually stretch and having some adjusment buffer would help.

Thanks,
Lynn

Have several times used a round file (rattail) or a Dremel to extend the slot in the arm. Not much needed, less than you might think 1/16" or so, maybe less. The belts shouldn't stretch beyond a tiny bit. That's my experience, yours might be vary.

Why not just get a shorter belt?

Might not want to remove the Prop? If lengthening the slot works, it is a 10 min. job at most and not an uncommon thing to do. Normally it is such a minute amount it's hard to see the difference. However YMMV. I'll move on now. :)

Might not want to remove the Prop? If lengthening the slot works, it is a 10 min. job at most and not an uncommon thing to do. Normally it is such a minute amount it's hard to see the difference. However YMMV. I'll move on now. :)

Thanks, I'll look at that if needed, as for the shorter belt, the alternator is already up against the case when fitting the current belt on the flywheel. Ideally the belt would be slightly longer and the arm would have more adjustment.

Thanks,
Lynn

Thanks, I'll look at that if needed, as for the shorter belt, the alternator is already up against the case when fitting the current belt on the flywheel. Ideally the belt would be slightly longer and the arm would have more adjustment.

Thanks,
Lynn

I am sure the 10 has more clearance, but in the 2 seat models you can't get away with that. I use a belt that requires loosening of the main alt attach bolts in order to get the belt over the alt pulley. This approach will allow you to get a 1/2 size smaller belt and avoid the issue with the arm.

Larry

Back