What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

*Leakproof* water bottle?

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a pretty nice water bottle that I take with me, perfectly sized to fit between the pilot and copilot seat bottoms on my 7A, but it started leaking. Thus, I'm in the market for the *best* leakproof water bottle with some sort of drinking spout...anyone got a recommendation?

I do like the looks of this, if it meets those requirements :)

attachment.php

Might not be what you're looking for but simply the best coffee thermos/mug for driving and flying:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7S61XQ

Has a rubber bottom so it doesn't move around and the shape natural wants to keep it from falling over plus it seals completely so if it does take a tumble it's not a problem (verified :D)

Although not very upscale or expensive, cycling water bottles are pretty leakproof and allow easy opening and closing of the drink valve. We’ve got dozens of them and use them for everything from cycling to camping....to flying!

Paul

Nalgene Lexan bottles. They fit between the -7 seats, light, unbreakable, and are the only bottles I have used that have never leaked under any instances. They make a narrow mouth that is easier to drink in flight, but it is harder to clean out.

From my glider days, I carry a Camelback with a tube and bite valve. Works great and it has enough room that you can add ice. I use the strap to hang it behind my seat back.

If you go to their web site and search for Omega you will find the one I use. There is a Crux that is smaller with the same hose bite valve arrangement. I have had mine for 30 years and have only had to replace the bite valves.

The only problem I have had is over hydration and having to stop to pee.

Previously I used a non insulated bottle to keep water in.

Problem:
1. Bottle would produce condensation that would get whatever it touched wet. 2. Liquid inside said bottle would get hot/ambient temperature rather quickly.

Solution
Yeti Rambler Bottle (I have 36oz). This thing keeps ice well beyond the flight and into the next day. NO condensation. Just don't drop it on the wing as the tumbler is solid. I use the "Chug Cap" it came with but just ordered the "Rambler Bottle Straw Cap" they sell for it as that will allow for a quicker sip. They make a variety of caps for the bottle to suit your preferred style. Truth be told I would never spend the money necessary to buy Yeti products but received this thing as a gift but after owning it I can vouch and say its worth every penny they charge.

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/drinkware/rambler-36-oz-bottle-with-chug-cap/21071500321.html#q=rambler%2Bcap&lang=en_US&start=1

The best thing I found for the tight confines of my RV3 was a wine sack. Flexible so you can shove and store anywhere, can be used as a lumbar pad :p, give's your water a nice grape flavor..:D and easy to drink from w/o spilling.
Leather covered so tough as nails too. We used to call them Bota Bags - back in the day.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but for “grab and go” hydration I have recently discovered “Box Water”. Designed as a marketing play against plastic bottles but it’s most useful attribute is that it is a box and won’t roll away. Works great to store on top of the fuel line cover boxes on my RV4. Stays put, won’t roll like a rounded bottle.

+1 for Contigo. I have several of these (16 oz, 20 oz and 24 oz) but mostly use the 24 oz version now. You can lock the breather, which locks the button that allows drinking.

https://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-...-mug-with-easy-clean-lid-20-oz-blue-corn.html

I ended up going with a 24 oz Contigo Autoseal Chill, and it seems perfect so far! Fits nicely lying horizontally between the seats, doesn't leak at any altitude I've tried to date, and keeps H20 cold all day. Outstanding! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but for “grab and go” hydration I have recently discovered “Box Water”. Designed as a marketing play against plastic bottles but it’s most useful attribute is that it is a box and won’t roll away. Works great to store on top of the fuel line cover boxes on my RV4. Stays put, won’t roll like a rounded bottle.
Jack Daniels comes in square bottles for the same reason. It won't roll around on the floorboards.

My advice on this topic is that Camelbak Eddy bottles with the bite valve are great for driving and flying because you can drink without tilting your head back. But you need to take a sip every 1,000 feet during your climb, otherwise the pressurized blast of water you get when you bite the valve will be somewhat exciting.

I did have a Camelbak Chute insulated bottle that leaked terribly. I complained and they sent me a replacement, with the new style magnetic lid. The only problem I have with it now is that it keeps things too hot too long. I filled it with hot tea a couple weekends ago and it was finally drinkable about 6 hours later.

Don't use a straw style lid!

I humbly share my mistake for the benefit of others. I did get the flip cap with straw for the Rambler cup. At 11k I happily popped the flip cap open only to have tea blast out and splash off the cabin top. Whatever cup you get don't get one with a straw. Back to the screw off cap for me.

Back