What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Kits, New RV-14 builder tool kit advice?

PRE911

I have just ordered a wing kit for the RV-14. I am a first time builder. At almost 65, I feel like a little boy waiting for Santa to come down the chimeny with my new toys (RV-14 crates) :)

I have a lot of basic tools such as air compressor, drill press, bandsaw, bench grinder and several clamps and auto tools.

I am looking for complete kits from Cleaveland or Avery. Any positives :) or negatives:( about either company, or any suggestions for another tool kit source.

I really enjoy all the posts from the current RV-14 builders, as well as the RV-10 builders. Thanks for all your work in bringing all the information you do to us which is especially appreciated by a newbie like me.

I believe I got my RV tool kit from Cleaveland way back about 7-8 years ago. I mainly got it from them for the famous Cleaveland 'Main Squeeze' squeezer. You can't beat it. I was happy with the kit but trust me when I say that you'll need a lot more than that eventually. I'd highly recommend one of the small Souix or similar pneumatic drills. Don't scrimp there with the cheap Harbor Freight one. There is a big difference. And a small angle die grinder with 1" Scotchbright wheels is a great time saver. If you want to spend a little more, take the C-frame dimpler out of the kit when you order it and order a DRDT-2 dimpler instead. You'll love using one of those. The last suggestion would be a pneumatic squeezer if the budget allows. Good luck on your build.

Tools

Two of the greatest tools I purchased and probably will never sell are my
DRDT 2 and my pneumatic squeezer.

I am looking for complete kits from Cleaveland or Avery. Any positives :) or negatives:( about either company, or any suggestions for another tool kit source.

I have purchased tools from Cleaveland and Avery (as well as Brown sometimes), the ABC's of RV Tools; I've purchased new tools directly from each vendor, and also second-hand tools which originated at one of them then passed through one or two builders before they got to me.

All three advertise here. They are all top notch. I have the most experience with Cleaveland and Avery. You won't go wrong with any of them.

--
Stephen

I recently purchased the kit from Cleveland and subbed the DRDT-2 and pneumatic squeezer. I am partially through the empennage and am very pleased so far. The folks at Cleveland were great to work with and the tools seem top notch. The drill in their kit is a Souix, which is great.

Bill Vinson
RV-7 just started

As long as tools are the topic, how about a quick question about clecos? How many for the rv-14?

I was told for an rv-10 that one would "need":

3/32" #40 Cleco Fastner 750
1/8" #30 Cleco Fastner 350
5/32" #21 Cleco Fastner 10
3/16" #10 Cleco Fastner 10

overkill?

I have a bucket full (assuming 750) of 3/32 clecos from the RV-10 build and the most I've used at one time would be 3/4 of them so far in the RV-14 wing build. Just the ailerons needing them left to go.

Back