What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J channel flub

LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
OK, I read ahead, prepared, etc but I still missed a couple holes that I was NOT supposed to match drill, I thought it was just the 12 nutplate holes, but there was a sneaky rivet hole to either side that I drilled but was not supposed to.
2w70obp.jpg

So, now they do not line up correctly. Do I need to get more J channel and re do it? You can see in the following picture that if I just match drill and ignore it the resulting holes will be way too close.

ir120y.jpg

35aq9g8.jpg

As I alluded to here, I did the same thing. I went ahead and drilled the other hoes ( figured I had nothing to loose). The holes on mine do not intersect but they certainly don't have enough edge clearance. I haven't fully decided yet but I think I'll go ahead and dimple the correct hole and see if it tears. If it looks ok, I was thinking of just making a doubler plate.

And worst of all...I did it right on my first wing, wrong on my second. A wise man once told me there's no such thing as a learning curve...

35aq9g8.jpg

Not to hijack the tread, but there have been many conversations on this site on the subject of deburring and edge fish. It's very telling that the factory leaves edges as rough as these in the photo. Goes to show a lot of us are over doing it.

Called the mothership

I was told that they USED to clean them up a lot but it cost a lot. The engineers researched it and for those parts in the spar, they said it was not required and would allow them to save money. This allows them to sell the kit cheaper!

As for the J channel, they told me to make a doubler, but I just ordered more to redo it...something about accepting a mistake on the FIRST step!

Is it possible to just drill the hole up to the next size and put a larger rivet in? I've used that technique before. A larger rivet being stronger, is usually an acceptable fix.

OOps rivet

I thought about a larger hole and rivet, but some of the holes (total 6 holes out of alignment) were almost touching...so the resultant fix would be 2x plus some of the diameter of a -3 rivet which seems pretty big to me.

Back