What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Tool Cart for Shop

dfmoeller

I'm New Here
I seem to remember someone at some point posted some plans for a 4-way wooden cart on casters to hold the common power tools (drill press, sander, bandsaw, and router maybe). Does anybody have any info on this or maybe a link to someone who build something. I'm running out of tasks for my new workshop!

Doug

I built one similar to what your talking about, I do not have any pictures of it right now but all it was, was an EAA1000 table built to whatever dimensions you need with casters on the bottom. It worked great, just remember sometimes the brakes on the casters are not the best so the table can sometimes move and is alot less stable than if its solid on the ground.

EAA 1000 Table plans

hope this helps

I built one similar to what your talking about, I do not have any pictures of it right now but all it was, was an EAA1000 table built to whatever dimensions you need with casters on the bottom. It worked great, just remember sometimes the brakes on the casters are not the best so the table can sometimes move and is alot less stable than if its solid on the ground.

EAA 1000 Table plans

hope this helps

I built some EAA tables, but for moving them I mounted "fixed" caster wheels (like the ones on the back of a grocery cart) on the side on the legs on one end of the table, oriented on the long axis with the wheels about 1/8" off the floor.

The tables are rock solid on the floor, but super easy to move by lifting the end opposite the wheels, which rotates the wheel onto the floor so you can move the table like wheelbarrow. Quick cheap and easy.

Tony Bingelis describes how to build one in his book(s). The blue one I think. You do have his books, right?
I made mine on a 2x4' footprint about 25 years ago and still use it all the time. Mine holds a drill press, band saw, 2 grinders, a chop/miter saw on slide out rails underneath, rails to hold c-clamps along the sides, pegs for ear muffs and glasses, and general storage underneath.
I don't know how many times it has gone up a u-haul ramp, but it is plenty!

Another vote for 1/2 of an EAA 1000 bench. I built mine with a little overhang all the way around, and put locking casters from Home Depot (or wherever it was I got them) on the bottom. I have not noticed any tendency to move when in use. The only thing I would do differently would be to make it 1/2 (24 x 36) instead of 24 x 30 like I did.

Last edited:
Mine is 24" X 36" and bolted to each corner is a benchtop drill press, grinder with Scotchbright wheel, disk/belt sander and a benchtop bandsaw. It has locking wheels on the bottom. The table was originally used for something else but if I had to make a new one, I'd make the same size with the same tools on it and use the EAA table as a guide.

Power Post

Mine is 36" x 36" using the EAA 1000 pattern. A "Power Post" in the middle keeps the cords off the floor and out of your way.

I did this, and I LOVE it!

Here is an older pic of the power tool bench/cart:
first%2520cut.JPG

I've since moved some things around, mainly putting the vise on the big workbench and putting my drill press where the vise was.

This works great. All of the power cords feed thru the center of the top to a power strip, so there is only one cord to plug in. Two of the casters are locking, and it stays put when I want it to.

Power Tool Cart

Mine is about 28"x28" and on swivel casters. The top is made from 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and has a 3" overhang. On 3 corners are mounted a bench grinder, combo 1" belt & disc sander and a 5" vice. Steel vice jaw inserts removed and replaced with non-marring oak duplicates. 4th corner stays empty and serves as a mini work area. 1 cord powers outlets for the tools plus spares. I often clamp something in the vice and plug in a dremel or heat gun or whatever. Table rolls to area of plane I'm working on and stays within easy reach. I just spin it around for the corner I need. Works great.

Back