What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop torque values

moll780

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the torque value for the prop bolts on a Catto prop?
Just curious. I sent Catto my prop for performance tuning.
Excited to get a few more RPM for take off and climb!!

What was your prop diameter, pitch, two blade, three blade, etc to start with? What engine you runnin? What year was your prop made? Why you re pitching it?

My catto two blade prop says " torque 35 lbs." on its data plate.

It is listed on hub, tho mine is 40lbs (7/16 bolts). What did he say for turn around time? I have opposite problem. Can't flt WOT, straight and level, without over speeding to at least 2850 rpm. How did you get it back to him?

two weeks turnaround. I shipped the prop overnight by UPS. Catto typically ships it back by fedex ground but I'm going to get him to overnight it on my account.
Prop was getting awesome numbers in cruise but static was 1950rpm, climb about 2000rpm, WOT 2600(ish) max, 195mph. great for cruise but needed a little more for climb and take off.
RV9A, o320 160hp, 2 blade. Im expecting it back this week. hopefully tuesday if it goes out tomorrow.

It is listed on hub, tho mine is 40lbs (7/16 bolts). What did he say for turn around time? I have opposite problem. Can't flt WOT, straight and level, without over speeding to at least 2850 rpm. How did you get it back to him?

didnt think about the dataplate. I took a pic of it before I shipped to him.
says 38lbs on 7" crush plate. 72" pitch, 72" NLS. manufacture date april 2011. glass/carbon composite2-bld.
ok so this answered my question. 38lbs. cool. didnt think about looking at the plate.
BTW these props are the BOMB! (for the NSA monitors.. this means its great!).

What was your prop diameter, pitch, two blade, three blade, etc to start with? What engine you runnin? What year was your prop made? Why you re pitching it?

My catto two blade prop says " torque 35 lbs." on its data plate.

I did the same, I have a 3 blade that was 70X74 and had Craig repitch it to a 70x72. Originally I was getting 2050 static and 2700 in cruise and now I'm told I will get 2200 static.

When I initialed talked with them I was assured a 2 day turnaround as soon as they recieved the prop, 2 weeks later I called to find that mine was still sitting on the shelf, it is due to be delivered on Tuesday almost 3.5 weeks since I sent it in. I'm still a happy customer however I just don't enjoy getting lied to.

Oh ya he even re painted the tips a different color.

-david

I've heard similar stories... but the price is right, the person easy to talk to, his daughter Nichole is very helpful and I dont think they intended to deceive about the turn around. Its basically a one man shop (I said basically) and when you factor the price, quality and his workload one needs to be flexible with timing...

I did the same, I have a 3 blade that was 70X74 and had Craig repitch it to a 70x72. Originally I was getting 2050 static and 2700 in cruise and now I'm told I will get 2200 static.

When I initialed talked with them I was assured a 2 day turnaround as soon as they recieved the prop, 2 weeks later I called to find that mine was still sitting on the shelf, it is due to be delivered on Tuesday almost 3.5 weeks since I sent it in. I'm still a happy customer however I just don't enjoy getting lied to.

Oh ya he even re painted the tips a different color.

-david

didnt think about the dataplate. I took a pic of it before I shipped to him.
says 38lbs on 7" crush plate. 72" pitch, 72" NLS. manufacture date april 2011. glass/carbon composite2-bld.
ok so this answered my question. 38lbs. cool. didnt think about looking at the plate.
BTW these props are the BOMB! (for the NSA monitors.. this means its great!).

Im building a 9A with O-320, 160 hp and purchased a two-blade Catto in January 2013. It came as a 70" pitch: 70", NLE.

Back