What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cell phone bluetooth ?

Larco

Well Known Member
I was just curious if pilots who are using cell phones in the cockpit enough to appreciate a blue tooth connection. Please, I wish to hear from pilots that are using blue tooth that are happy with it or not using very much and won't do it again. Thanks, Larry
I am pondering updating my 9000ex to the current blue tooth level so to except the Iphone4. Convenience of phone use versus going through the set up before each flight?

Last edited:
I use the Bluetooth feature of the Zulu headsets with my iPhone--works great, use it all the time. People I talk to can't tell I'm in the airplane.

I use the Bluetooth feature of the Zulu headsets with my iPhone--works great, use it all the time. People I talk to can't tell I'm in the airplane.

Same with my Zulu and Blackberry phone. It is a great way to pick up an IFR clearance when on the ground and out of radio range of ATC. Phone clarity is as if I was sitting inside the FBO, not in the airplane with the engine running. AND, since I have 6+hrs of music on the phone I can listen to my tunes while on long cross country flights without wires dangling everywhere. :cool:

Same here. I've got a Zulu headset and an iPhone. I've made/received a few calls and the quality is fantastic. Most people can't tell the difference.

As others have mentioned, I also like the ability to listen to music stored on my iPhone via the Bluetooth connection.

FWIW

that is really cool stuff, cruizin along calling friends, they say , what you up to, not much, 180 mph over lake okeechobee, doin a roll. no way!!!!!
img1400ns.jpg

You guys actually get good cell signals while airborne? I have to be fairly LOW to get a good enough signal.

I have a PAR 100EX and have used the Bluetooth feature for the phone numerous times. The sound quality is excellent and the pairing is seamless. I also have an Ipad mounted on the panel which I stream music through quite often just so I am not draining my phone battery. The PS Engineering products make it very simple and works great every time.

I use the bluetooth feature on my Zulu headset all the time. Mostly, it's to listen to the music on my iPhone, but I have also made phone calls with it. The clarity is great and I haven't had any issues with it.

As for cell signal, it really depends on where you are. I can be at 6000 over Sacramento and it won't work, but I was at 23,000 over Klamath Falls and it worked. Go figure.

When I updated my panel, I ended up adding an audio panel. I thought it would be cool / convenient to have music and/or phone support.

I decided to install a 4-wire 3.5mm plug that works with iPhone (and some other smart phones).

GND + LFT + RHT = music
GND + LFT + MIC = phone

I then purchased an inexpensive 4-wire 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

No need to have bluetooth on or paired and it works with any headset.

That said, I've listened to music just once and the only phone call was a test call from the ground.

Cell coverage at altitude is very unpredictable. I've tried to check my email at less than 200' AGL and had no signal... On the other hand, I got a good laugh one day when climbing through FL340, my captain's phone rang. Of course we're not supposed to have them on, either (besides, it drains your battery very quickly when they sit there for hours searching for a signal) so he was embarrassed.

I laughed and encouraged him to answer it. He did and then proceeded to carry on a 2 minute conversation with a roofing contractor working on his house. Very unusual. We were approximately over Aspen, CO if that makes any difference...

The flight attendant didn't get a chance to tell him to turn it off. The bullet proof door is also flight attendant-proof! :)

FWIW

PS. My RV-3 kit is still for sale. Somebody come get it!

Back