What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do I Need to Start Building?

Hello all! Long-time forum member, first-time builder. I am looking to get some insight into setting up my garage to begin building.

A little background on me: I am a King Air driver with my A&P. I don't have a whole lot of practical aviation maintenance experience, but I do love building things. I work a 2-month-on, 2-month-off schedule. I am hoping to make good use of my time off to make good progress on an RV-8.

I have a full-sized garage connected to my home that will be my build site. One of my first tasks is going to be to improve the lighting. I'm planning on adding 8 or so fixtures to the garage, based on a few threads I have read here.

I purchased a tool kit quite a while ago with most of the necessary essentials for sheet metal. But, I would like to hear any essential or helpful tools that I need from the get-go.

I do not have an air compressor yet. I am hoping to set up an air compressor in my shop in the backyard, and run a line to the garage to reduce noise. Has anyone done something similar?

I don't have any work benches or other horizontal surfaces yet. What do you guys recommend for benches? Are EAA benches the way to go?

I have about a month before I make it home again. Does anyone have any further recommendations of things I should do to prepare? I am hoping that I can set up my garage for building during my time off, and maybe get started on an empennage.

Thanks!

A couple of the EAA benches would be a good start. One would be required, two would be really nice. Put a layer of masonite or light plywood/paneling on the top surface to be a replaceable work surface, it will get torn up over time. Drill a couple holes down into the work surface on one corner for common drill bit storage - #40, #30, and #21 is what I did - will save you lots of time searching for the right bit. Start with about 10 of the #40 bits and maybe 5 of the #30 bits, and order more as needed. You'll break them and they wear out.

Air compressor - don't do the oil-free variety, they are much louder and don't last as long. Get an oiled compressor and you won't even mind it being in the garage with you.

Harbor Freight-quality small drill press and small bandsaw will likely see you through the project.

If you've already bought the tool kit of choice, you'll have most of what you need. A few "nice to have" items would be both a 2X and 3X rivet gun for skin versus structure rivets and an adjustable pressure regulator to change the air pressure driving them, a pair of different countersink cages with the depths preset for different rivet sizes so you don't have to keep changing it. A tungsten bucking bar - yes they are expensive, and they are worth it. Get one. Pneumatic squeezers are a major help. 3 pairs of cleco pliers, because those things will disappear faster than a scared cat, just when you really need one.

The rest of it you'll figure out as you go, you'll run up against a problem and have that "ah-ha" moment where you realize you really need "X" tool. You'll get to be on a first-name basis with your local UPS driver before it's over.

Get a small parts storage bin, the kind with about 40 small plastic drawers that slide out. Label them for each rivet size or screw/hardware type and as you open the boxes/bags from Vans put them in the right bin, makes it loads easier and saves time.

Later in the project you'll find a Dremel tool and assortment of bits to be handy.

Last edited:
Also in the small bench-mounted department: a bench grinder. HF quality works here as well, I bought mine there in 2012 and it's still going strong. I use it a ton with a scotchbrite wheel for edge finishing parts.

EAA 1000 benches are a good choice. The "retractable gear" mod is also helpful for your large benches if you want to move them around. Check out https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/14211312/retractable-gear-eaa for info on that.

When I started off, I built essentially three EAA benches. Two have 2x6 tops, the third used the remainder of a 4x8 sheet and is thus ~2x4. The small bench is where my bench grinder/drill press/bandsaw live. I also modified the benches to be a bit taller; I'm a tall guy and wanted them to be at a good working height while I'm standing.

Tools

Nate, welcome aboard

Having a plentiful supply of "expendable" tools is a real plus (drill bits, countersink cutters, scotch brite pads, tape etc...) purchased up front will make it much easier to avoid doing the job with less than sharp instruments.

It's always hard to think far enough ahead to order a missing item, and having them already in the drawer keeps the momentum going!

I personally couldn't function without a Vixen file for sheet edges, swivel type debur handles (a few different style bits) and my 12" drill bits in #30/40.

Made a big purchase up front (more parts than money, say from the yard store) and haven't looked back! Spend one of your long layovers scanning their catalog and make your list.

Regarding your bench question: everything should be on wheels! Big wheeled casters from HF are cheap, and your shop can be configured easily for almost any task.

Enjoy the ride

Pneumatic squeezer, and assorted yokes.
The numatix squeezer if you can stretch to it.
Also a DRDT-2, ifyou can stretch to that as well.

I've got a thread here on VAF either in the Tools or the Tips section that includes plans for a bench that I designed. You can search for it. It's slightly easier than the EAA one. I've made something like 8 of them (not all for my RV-3B project) and they work just fine.

Harbor Freight has a $30 LED fixture that puts out 5,000 lumens. They are light so they are easy to install. The downside is 60 watts, but I like them a lot. Don't confuse them with the more expensive 3,000 lumen version.

Dave

I'd add a medium-size white board for writing notes and reminders. It also helps keep track of things you need to order. Also, I used a ton of Post-It notes on my work - to reexamine rivets or replace them, to remind myself to torque a nut, etc.
John

I bought an old Craftsman 220 portable compressor and hooked it up to a hard pipe system with various drops. It is remarkably quiet and the pipe system acts as a tank expansion. It’s in the barn with me and quieter than my hvac system.

Multiple LABELED parts cabinets for every type of hardware are super handy.

EVERYTHING on wheels sums up my entire shop philosophy. It is incredibly handy to be able to shift and rearrange on the fly.

Don’t skimp on consumables. Buy several of everything. You’ll use it all eventually.

A good bit of :

A short list:
Commitment; the commitment increases with every kit purchase.
Resourcefulness; to get through and past the challenges - large and small.
Stick-to-it'ness; don't let it go to the back burner, have to keep up a pace.
A dedicated/ample work space; that is usable in hot, cold, all the time.
Awareness and Planning; always looking ahead to keep the parts coming without long term interruptions.
Tools; and then more tools.
Lots of other stuff from aircraft materials and accessories outlets; Lowes/Home Depot/NAPA/WEB outlets, etc.
Finding and using all of the resources and assistance available; WEB, email contacts, local EAA Chapter members, et al.
A reasonable budget; with a contingency of at least 20% at the beginning.

There is more that you'll discover on the journey.

+1 on the EAA 1000 work benches. If you have room I recommend several of them.

However for me the original design while thrifty in its use of materials is just too small. Or maybe not if you can use it as an island but I like a bigger bench and so I built three to the same design but 72" x 32".

Another poster mentioned height and I agree, definitely size it taller dpending on your height.

Another modification I made was "fixed" landing gear -- mount two fixed wheels on the legs on one end, vertically on the side of the leg and barely touching the floor such the lifting the other end of the bench causes weight to shift onto the wheels so you can move it around. Not so fancy as the "RG" mod but much simpler and less expensive and works okay.

+1 for a pneumatic squeezer. Worth every penny and you can likely sell it for what you paid once you’re done.
The more benches the better. I had three 8 foot benches with lots of room for the bench grinder, drill press and scroll saw.
Larger compressor is better so it’s not constantly running. Think 80-90 gallon. When you plumb your compressor for the shop, DO NOT use PVC piping. It can be dangerously explosive. Steel gas piping from Lowe’s or HD works great and is pretty inexpensive. Set up a moisture trap filter prior to your hose reel connection.
Have fun! It’s a journey.

+1 for a pneumatic squeezer. Worth every penny and you can likely sell it for what you paid once you’re done.
+1 to that EXCEPT I did that (sold it) and regretted it ever since. Surprising how often I still wish I had it, for various modifications & even non-aircraft projects. Yes I still have a hand-squeezer but still.

All great suggestions.

I can remember spending hours in the workshop flipping through plans to ensure I understood how all the parts came together. I'm not a fan of reading plans on a computer screen. With the above in mind I would recommend making 2-3 fixtures that will hold a grouping of plans. Hang them on the wall at eye level for reference.

Have fun!

I forget if the standard tool kits include pull riveting tools, but if not, don't forget one of them. You don't need to spring for the pneumatic ones but they are nice and convenient (and I found the regular Home Depot quality hand pull riveters won't last through the project).

Hello all! Long-time forum member, first-time builder. I am looking to get some insight into setting up my garage to begin building.

A little background on me: I am a King Air driver with my A&P. I don't have a whole lot of practical aviation maintenance experience, but I do love building things. I work a 2-month-on, 2-month-off schedule. I am hoping to make good use of my time off to make good progress on an RV-8.

I have a full-sized garage connected to my home that will be my build site. One of my first tasks is going to be to improve the lighting. I'm planning on adding 8 or so fixtures to the garage, based on a few threads I have read here.

I purchased a tool kit quite a while ago with most of the necessary essentials for sheet metal. But, I would like to hear any essential or helpful tools that I need from the get-go.

I do not have an air compressor yet. I am hoping to set up an air compressor in my shop in the backyard, and run a line to the garage to reduce noise. Has anyone done something similar?

I don't have any work benches or other horizontal surfaces yet. What do you guys recommend for benches? Are EAA benches the way to go?

I have about a month before I make it home again. Does anyone have any further recommendations of things I should do to prepare? I am hoping that I can set up my garage for building during my time off, and maybe get started on an empennage.

Thanks!

An understanding wife!!!!

All great suggestions.

I can remember spending hours in the workshop flipping through plans to ensure I understood how all the parts came together. I'm not a fan of reading plans on a computer screen. With the above in mind I would recommend making 2-3 fixtures that will hold a grouping of plans. Hang them on the wall at eye level for reference.

Have fun!

I made a couple attempts at plans holders - both vertical rolling things that clipped the plans in place - and never really used either of them. Then I got an idea from watching one of the Flightchops RV-14 build episodes and built this things, which I can roll around the shop next to whatever I'm working on:

20190727_2125468466474599051393433-768x1024.jpg

The top is sloped a bit so it has a good angle for reading; it also hinges up and all my plans pages live in the bottom there. And the whiteboards (there's one on the back as well; I had both boards just lying around) are good for random sketches and note-taking.

Air supply hose

If you're going to plump your shop for air (required if you have a floor mounted compressor) - this or something similar is much easier to install than rigid pipe of any kind:

RapidAir 3/4in. MaxLine 100ft. Master Kit, Model# M7500

make sure you build the benches with a 1" overhang. EAA table don't do this. Makes for easier clamping.

Plans: bring them to work--if you can-and print on 11 by 17 single sided. Then leave the originals in the house to read whenever. Then use a binder clip of each section. This way you can see 1-2 or more pages at the same time. I check, date and signed each step, then cut off the upper right corner and sign completed and move to the back of the section. When all the pages are clipped, you are done with the section.

cheers
ken

I have an excel spreadsheet of all the tools I have and whether I would but them again. If you are interested.

Back