What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear window install

Lynnb

Well Known Member
So I"m still procrastinating on starting to install windows. I've ordered the Lord Adhesive and pretty much have a plan in place, but the one thing I can't figure out is after the windows are glued in, do you then mark and sand the outside of the window and layup several layers of fiberglass to fully capture the window in the recess?

Thanks,
Lynn

That's what I did on my rear windows. FWIW, I did not add any fiberglass to my door windows so I'm monitoring both to see if either method makes any real difference.

I encased all the transparencies when I built my -10 with two layers of 2" wide BID fiberglass taping.

I encased all the transparencies when I built my -10 with two layers of 2" wide BID fiberglass taping.

Thanks, I think this is the route I'll try. Did you encase the top and sides of the front window as well?

Whenever someone opens a new RV-10 window install thread

... I always feel I should make sure they are aware of the Sil-Pruf or Glasair Sportsman 2+2 method detailed on YouTube.

It's time-intensive but slick, avoids differential expansion and crazing issues and there's no BID around the transparencies to crack under the paint later.

Full disclosure: my windows have not flown yet. Have not heard any stories of Sil-Pruf windows popping out in flight. Also, I'd do the method again in a heartbeat.

Back