What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

silicone fiberglass mat source

ssturges

I would like to wrap my lower fuel lines in some extra fire sleeve material for insulation. They are only about 2.5" from the exhaust, not a lot of room down there. I have fuel lines secured pretty well and safety wired to the mixture bracket via cushion clamps around the lines but would like some more temperature protection to prevent fuel vaporization.

I could not find a source for small quantities for silicone/fiberglass mat like the material used on fire sleeves that was easy to order. This is mat not sleeves. Only need like a 12X12 inch piece to work with. Anyone know an easy to order from source?

Thanks,
Steve

Not what you're asking for, but have you considered a radiant barrier instead? Might be more effective than another layer of firesleeve type material.

Yes I was going to use a shield on the exhaust line for a section of it but some of this is were the ball joint and spring is on the vetterman type exhaust.

I have seem people on the board here wrap there red cubes(fuel flow sensor) in the material to insulate them. I was just going to wrap my servo input line and output line to the fuel low divider in an extra layer near the exhust, io320.

This thread has an example of a red cube being wrapped with it:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=144597

I find it shocking how close some peoples fuel lines get to exhaust. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Welding Store

I would like to wrap my lower fuel lines in some extra fire sleeve material for insulation. They are only about 2.5" from the exhaust, not a lot of room down there. I have fuel lines secured pretty well and safety wired to the mixture bracket via cushion clamps around the lines but would like some more temperature protection to prevent fuel vaporization.

I could not find a source for small quantities for silicone/fiberglass mat like the material used on fire sleeves that was easy to order. This is mat not sleeves. Only need like a 12X12 inch piece to work with. Anyone know an easy to order from source?

Thanks,
Steve

You can find all kinds of "Fire Blanket" at your local welding supply store. All kinds of types and weights available. The fiberglass type you want sounds like some of the style used by welders to protect stuff.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

In terms of insulation properties, the silicone outer cover on firesleeve is just a gas tight shell over the actual insulation.

If your goal is improved rejection of radiant heat energy, you want to add a reflector...a shiny outer cover over the existing firesleeve.

The physics say a high percentage of that radiant energy will be reflected, and the rest will be absorbed, conducted to the other side of the reflector, where it is re-radiated, or conducted into another material in physical contact. A thin insulation layer under the reflector forces much of the re-radiated energy back into conduction, a slower form of transmission if the insulation material actually has low conductivity. Plus it eliminates physical contact with the surface we were trying to protect.

So...what you really want in the areas near the exhaust pipes is aluminum foil over fiberfrax. If you were building with an unlimited budget, you would pick gold foil over aerogel ;)

Vans sells a nice HD self stick foil. Or buy a roll of good quality aluminum tape.

Last edited:
FYI

I have been measuring some fuel temps. Here is a recent cruise setting result. All in F, with boost pump off.

1. on the tube entering the cabin
2. just after the fuel pump in the "tunnel"
3. on the FW fitting, inside the cabin
4. On exit fitting from the mechanical pump.

1- 38F
2- 56F
3- 70F
4- 90F

Look at those temperature rises!! I have a 4-1 exhaust down the center and radiation might be the contributor to the center tunnel rises. FWF is obvious, but it also includes the heat added by the mechanical pump.

More testing to follow for understanding what is happening.

Something like ???... Thermo-Tec Thermo-Sleeve Protectors 14010 ??

Stuff is available from summit racing,.....

Anyone have thoughts or experience?

In terms of insulation properties, the silicone outer cover on firesleeve is just a gas tight shell over the actual insulation.

If your goal is improved rejection of radiant heat energy, you want to add a reflector...a shiny outer cover over the existing firesleeve.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I came to the same conclusion.

I got some high temperature insulating radiant barrier tape(shinny) to construct this with, will so be mechanically secured. I saw other builders also using this.

Steve

FYI, I buy it by the foot on ebay. Just search: FIRE SLEEVE HOSE SILICONE INSULATION BRAIDED FIBERGLASS CORE. Usually seems to be the best price when you only want a couple feet.

Lynn

I have been measuring some fuel temps. Here is a recent cruise setting result. All in F, with boost pump off.

1. on the tube entering the cabin
2. just after the fuel pump in the "tunnel"
3. on the FW fitting, inside the cabin
4. On exit fitting from the mechanical pump.

1- 38F
2- 56F
3- 70F
4- 90F

Look at those temperature rises!! I have a 4-1 exhaust down the center and radiation might be the contributor to the center tunnel rises. FWF is obvious, but it also includes the heat added by the mechanical pump.

More testing to follow for understanding what is happening.

How did you instrument that?

Back