What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB Power Options

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
He who hesitates is lost... It seems Commitlift is no longer making/selling panel-mounted USB power jacks. Is anyone else making noise-free, USB power jacks for a reasonable price? I've seen a few posts about Anker cigarette-lighter style adapters but i'd prefer a more permanent installation.

I'm getting tired of the nest of wires coming out of my cigarette lighter adapter, and would like enough ports to power my tablet, phone, SPOT, and Stratux.

I messed with lots of cheaper ones. None are as silent as Stein's. I use it with a Samsung phablet, charges well.

+1 for Powerwerx

Had some older style from Stein, but have both failed at different times. As always, Stein was very helpful but they no longer carry the size I have cutouts for in the panel. The Powerwerx ones failed in my OV incident, but they are pigtails that hang down under the panel.

Most importantly, I?d stay with the round cigarette lighter size, or the pigtail hanging under the panel. In the future, if one fails, you won?t be locked into a particular design.

This has worked out well for me. For $12.50 I thought I would give it a try.

No, I do not hear any noise in my headset and am happy with it. Also, you need to wire the USB ports to your master as they are powered, even when nothing is plugged in. The cigarette plug is on my "Always Hot" buss and I can charge my battery with it. (Although, I have a plug inside the oil door for doing that.)

Last edited:
Another vote for the Blue Sea 1045. Proven RF noise reduction, used one in my
truck when other 5v 4.2a chargers caused issues with the TPMS.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I found the Blue Sea Systems ones on Amazon (along with a lot of others) but wasn't sure how they might affect radios...

https://www.steinair.com/product/usb-dual-power-charger/
"For 12 volt and 24 volt DC electrical systems, 2.4 amps max.
Two 5 volt 2.4 amp USB power jacks with an LED indicator."

Or these, higher amp rating:
https://www.steinair.com/product/dual-usb-panel-jack/
"For 12 volt and 24 volt DC electrical systems, 4.8 amps max.
Two 5 volt 4.8 amp USB power jacks with an LED indicator."

What needs 4.8A? I've found that a 2.1 to 2.4A charger will keep one of my Tablet/Phone/Stratux running quite happily. 4.8A seems like overkill? I don't want to limit myself, but don't want to carry capacity I can't use, either...

I've seen them reviewed somewhere and seem to recall Stein mods them somehow for noise. I'm putting 2 in the upgrade...
Maybe if Stein sees this they can comment and let us know if both chargers are modified for noise... I would be happy with the rectangular one if they are. And i'd want three for my install... :p

I second (third, fourth?) Blue Sea Systems...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHYC88A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

GULXEl0kI2auFa-NV2CUIdoeyAqJ_ePOQg78KpMOfyJAmXOhjb3MQn6TpBzKVQlbWpKyZKpYgdkfGdXsB_TTuYu887wT_b_4UBDOi994M_sNpH-CBxj8OtvwoSsVIgYXY2COkEHB9gGz4rdk0TTkJ9vwWqQWOtPESIYaR8ufsb1aYsgvT8RpVyZSEFgd7qE98feZlN2D_-j1Lazp_Xv9o-ekYba9Jf8QMs7swhlkrscmgkVr1j5vGFb2fp5bJQqjYJmzGbhLNbIzFpX-R58EsE2gkXjkMNY8VXYxBkzoAShHkUpZfiwXZSWlluGpFSpR3LnTXmDgFWUdNeXKac6tP1J6UEyILUms0v_QlMjP-fnxJcSrNJYDtn1sSkU-TMSy-EsTC-DoxJSKwH3aYQGgUqrkFgEI2jm49f30d4Vde9Sq8YK3TKIKHboxakgxMbzoWZgUUoelUlPMxVRdnb-4CM_vPT9RADk9lDLQiJDAbJt2jDp0qfZqsjDn7k6Nu9JZnFWV9L3DVJHhI_1jxBU3XywSztae1U2pTwTeXXCLTnK0iLWpVlCBOSUCSRSiac5F2gJbmB_ttVkKGo0AQ301d3yH3Uz3UYhnskk8K3M=w600-h560-no

Best is, if you're a Carling Rocker Switch guy (Rockerswitchpros.com, Aveo Rockrack, etc...) this fits in the same hole and matches everything else.

This is a pic of my panel I just finished for my -4. The USB outlets are on the far right.

lay8i6LWTXPs7SFubDPWGIfwEaQvQ-X0iBVA2x77eEqCEsQsfSzuGrUPJbKAbMivKhf0aw6J5_LAPuhSlta8u1iifmBYMoxoqMMf250vao-HK8uCj3fQi-9TzgAKuFxWBxlF_BZcdMDT-53qaGhNE76_oLJmgEvm6BDvLqRG5W3q7NmKezpXA1JaFQFRXrK7XgWE2WUBZhSN2ZisCVKXM6Tj3uPC_5xrOjwp4cMgbmwKROkBkNK-PDDde3lqXT-SI_AYmUwLct7xLTxCSHhzRUSoUJl6K9qtLIA4gKfTWUsV1_-N8bFigZgWYGhYNh4DJYC5zzsgAGYqvIW4_Zl9oM5W2tzXXSkSDEr6_89omp7sgRMtShXSXdrcch7BXkXcol3Q9ntP8kpm3phTTexdlChqLa0pm0ZmmKPZieI0iDOY9CEa2Trl_08OF2xU8O5GVP7UDpC4mOMHMG_yDYsFRLJipjj17n5Gt3Ld9I27j0FK8YtZgwb125uVRj8OXMkHW-h9TPKYXUyyG50c9HyZL429GbOp0sL0BJUq8pOGHkONxDpulg-JN6AhoW8wAsv1Yky2NruEkxRwMoIjKED4KrIEauTNQpdx8xKMTpY=w750-h483-no

Last edited:
eh... you win some, you lose some. I'll keep trying to repost the pics if anyone wants. I followed the same steps I have in the past and it's worked.

Either way, the USB outlet in the link I really like. Blue Sea Systems is a good choice.

Why Blue Sea ??

I bought the Powerwerks USB outlet and Voltmeter because Blue Sea claimed waterproof and I don?t need that. They look identical except for the waterproof claim. What am I missing ? I can still use Blue Sea for a good reason.

I bought the Powerwerks USB outlet and Voltmeter because Blue Sea claimed waterproof and I don’t need that. They look identical except for the waterproof claim. What am I missing ? I can still use Blue Sea for a good reason.

For me, proven RF noise reduction, no blue light to deal with at night, lifetime warranty vs. six months. Granted I had not purchased one for the plane yet when I made that decision.

I just tested one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-2A-Dual-U...72.m2749.l2649

and with a 12 volt battery (at 11 volts because it's just sitting there in the lawn mower for the last 2 weeks) in charged both the iPad and the iPhone while both were downloading the latest aviation database and both had full screen illumination.

I'll test them for noise in flight next week when my back is better and I'm able to fly.

This is my recommendation. The one from Stein wouldn't charge my ipad at the higher current level.

Larry

WOW. Looks just like mine but mine only costs $8 delivered compared to $40 for that one. Hopefully mine won?t add noise in flight and we?ll have a winner.

WOW. Looks just like mine but mine only costs $8 delivered compared to $40 for that one. Hopefully mine won?t add noise in flight and we?ll have a winner.
I had one of the cheap ones sourced from Amazon. Didn't make any noise, but also didn't last more than a couple of months before dying.

This is my recommendation. The one from Stein wouldn't charge my ipad at the higher current level.

Larry

This is actually the one Stein sells now. Price on Amazon is a few bucks less, but it is the same blue sea systems they put in my panel and sold me for my AV Fans.

I?m old school. I have a quality Marine cig lighter with a two port adapter.
In my road kit I have a tire inflator, an air mattress inflator and a spotlight all with cig plugs and I?ve used all three at OSH.
Never had noise issues.

I’m old school. I have a quality Marine cig lighter with a two port adapter.
In my road kit I have a tire inflator, an air mattress inflator and a spotlight all with cig plugs and I’ve used all three at OSH.
Never had noise issues.

SO no noise issues on your headsets or comms while filling tires and air mattresses and using the lamps while flying? You’re sir are very talented :D

I?e had very good experience with these AUKEY dual 2.4 amp chargers from Amazon. 2+ years and 200+ hours of keeping an iPad mini 4 and Stratus 2 charged, with no noise issues. On cross country flights, it will bring both the iPad and Stratus to 100% even if they weren?t fully charged to start with. I bought 3, one each for car and airplane, and a spare in the airplane glovebox.

This is actually the one Stein sells now. Price on Amazon is a few bucks less, but it is the same blue sea systems they put in my panel and sold me for my AV Fans.

I suppose he changed suppliers. I was referring to the old one that he sold, not realizing the change.

Larry

Testing several Amazon finds, one for new Pro iPads

I'm the guy building the iPad panel, so this topic is pretty familiar. I'm currently testing a couple of Amazon buys to see if they work out. For iPads with Lightning ports (everything but the Pro models), I'm using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P2CPC5G ($9.99)

For the new Pro models that use USB-C, I'm using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JPJTKCC ($16.69)

So far I've not had any problems with noise from either unit. That said, I've found that gear that works perfectly in one aircraft (no noise) can cause noise in another. Variations in shielding, grounding, and location of systems (radio, intercom / audio panel, charger, etc.) can make a big difference.

I will say that if you're going to use one of the new Pro model iPads, you'll definitely want a charger that can support USB Power Delivery. Even the 4.8 amp Blue Sea charger wasn't keeping my 11" iPad Pro happy, but the 3 amp charger with PD seems to work quite well.

The biggest unanswered question on these cheap chargers is how long they will last. (I have a spare plus a USB charger pack in my travel kit, just in case.)

Last edited:
Back