What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Control Travel

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
So everyone knows I've been on the warpath over the years with regards to jamnuts. I'd like to think we are making progress there, but we have yet to go for 2 weeks without finding one. However, I have no doubtthey are at the top of everyone's mind. :)

That being said, there is another critical area that I have mentioned in the past that just doesn't seem to be making any traction. It has to do with control travel as related to the engine controls. I find way too many, around 30%-40% of the aircraft I inspect, whether as a DAR or during a prebuy, that do not have complete travel to the stops on the throttle and the mixture control. The latest was an RV-10 this week that was meticulously built, with lots of torque seal in all of the right places!

It's really important to have full throttle travel, especially during the break-in process for a new engine, and it is critical if you have a carburetor, as there is an enrichment valve that comes into play at full throttle to help with cooling.

The controls that are shipped with the Van's FWF kits don't always have enough travel when connected tot he supplied arm on the units. But it is a simple fix to just drill another hole further up the arm and insert the bolt there.

Please take the time to check yours the next time the cowling is off.

Vic

Back