What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety Wire Size on Lower Baffle

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I"ve decided to safety wire the lower section of my baffles and was wondering if .032 wire is big enough, or should I find some .041 or even .051?

.032 should be fine. A key point is the fin wraps should be massaged so they are a tight natural fit to the cylinders so you don’t have to muscle them down using the safety wire. The wire should just hold them in position against air loads.

Safety wire vs oil drain tubes ?

While we are on the subject of the wire, I fabricated teflon blocks to keep the wire from rubbing the return tubes on my 0320. I have not addressed this area on my 0360 yet. Any suggestions and education appreciated on this subject.

While we are on the subject of the wire, I fabricated teflon blocks to keep the wire from rubbing the return tubes on my 0320. I have not addressed this area on my 0360 yet. Any suggestions and education appreciated on this subject.

Don't wire the front and rear cylinders together. Wire each to the center baffle plate, and the wires will clear the drainbacks. Tying two independently vibrating cylinders together never made any sense.

Mod the center baffle plate as needed; a bend to form a flange, possibly add an extension to form a flange. Use an AN3 washer as a reinforcement in the wire loop, with a dab of Ultra Black.

I do use heavy gauge wire.

Baffle%20Ties.jpg

Back