What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro's and Con's of this new forum

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
Wow, I should have known there would be some resistance to change when Doug introduced this new forum. In case you're wondering go over and check the VansAirforce Yahoo group postings for today. Doug, if you are serious about terminating the yahoo groups you currently oversee, I am wondering if there is anyone who would be willing to step up and either accept ownership and moderation of the groups...or set up their own. With your current work load, I can see how you wouldn't want to continue oversight of both of them. The more I use this new forum, the more I like it, although I'm sure there will be features of the Yahoo groups I will miss.
Don

About time we got a real forum!

Now I can get off all the mailing lists and jump right to the info I need.

THANKS!

Bill

Yip,

the negative traffic on the new forum over at yahoo is big. I had to say something over there, cause I have had experience in moving, and trying to move people from one group to other.

The bottom line of my recommendation is also to hand over the admin of the Yahoo group to someone else and not to stop it, then to put all your energy into the new forum to make it great!

The new forum is a great technology leap forward from a yahoo group. The benefits of a web forum far outweight an email forum like Yahoo, people will eventually realise this and make the move, and the traffic on Yahoo will go down as people move here. We have to embrase technology as it arrives, otherwise we will still be flying Wright Brother Airplanes :p

Anycase Doug, you are going to have your hands full trying to admin a web forum, it takes much more time than a yahoo forum...Good Luck!

I for sure hope this will be a success please keep the momentum going, you have my vote for the new forum, just leave the old one in tact for reference and for people that can't get to here due to firewalls etc.

Kind Regards
Rudi

This quote came up today in my FranklinCovey planner:

"I fear there will be no future for those who do not change." Louis L'Amour

Coincidence maybe, but perhaps it applies to those of us who want to stay with the Yahoo groups. Thanks again, Doug, I think it'll take awhile, but this new forum is definitely better for me.
Don

Forum Change

I am also a member of Cessna Pilots Assn. They changed their forum layout about two years ago. At first there was a lot of grumbling. Now there would be a riot if they changed the current set up. Doug has done a GREAT JOB here and is to be commended. I really like this set up and the "search" engine will really be a boon as more info gets on the site. Personally, I think Doug should set up a RV Pilot's Association to support his time and efforts. I would be up for joining. His philosophy is much more altruistic. What Doug does is beyond a full time job from where I sit. George

N941WR said:
Now I can get off all the mailing lists and jump right to the info I need.

THANKS!

Bill

Thems my sentiments, exactly. This is a cleaner, faster, system which encourages give-n-take. Good move, IMHO.

Thank you, gentlemen for those kind words. It's going to be quite a learning experience for me, but I'm up for it (and these are good work skills to have IMHO :) ).

Best,
Doug

PS: Tomorrow we're off to Brenham, TX for lunch. I'm in the back of 'Beautiful Doll' since Flash is still down for the engine change. I'll take pictures!!!

Skyhook said:
Thems my sentiments, exactly. This is a cleaner, faster, system which encourages give-n-take. Good move, IMHO.

Re: Pros and Cons

Pros -

1) This forum has topic related threads and 2) the ability to search for stuff that blows the doors off Yahoo and I expect will be the match of the Matronix list. 3) No ads here. I never liked the Yahoo forums because they were slow at best and irritating AND slow with all the advertisements.

Cons -

1) There are already too many forums - Matronix, Yahoo, Rivet Bangers, and now the VAF Forums. I can see a role for two of the major groups - a family group (here) and Matronix (so you can say how you really feel #%*&). Too many groups spreads the information around too wide and I think fragemnts the RV community. 2) This group is new so there isn't a lot of information here yet. I expect that will change with time but for now its a con.

All-in-all I'll be checking here and receiving a Matronix summary e-mail every day. The others I'll check when I can't find what I want here.

Don 90702 Fuselage
www.propjock.com

Along those lines (possible association down the road), one guess as to who owns the domain name www.RVOPA.org?

Who knows what the future'll bring... and thanks for the kind words.

I had to look up 'altruistic' in the dictionary :) ,
dr

gvgoff99 said:
I am also a member of Cessna Pilots Assn. They changed their forum layout about two years ago. [snip] Personally, I think Doug should set up a RV Pilot's Association to support his time and efforts. I would be up for joining. His philosophy is much more altruistic. What Doug does is beyond a full time job from where I sit. George

*** Pros ***

This type php has no match. Its functions are unparalleled. Most people these days are using computers and high bandwidth connections which make hunting for information a breeze. I hope everyone gets off the "Yahoo-make-me-go-blind" board and jumps on here. Thanks for bringing this Forum to life for us Doug!

*** Cons ***
none

Jeff Bordelon
www.JeffsRV-7A.com

Slightly off topic...

The vBulletin software is definitly a nice package though there are others even in the .NET world that have equal capabilities.

Try this link for a view of a free .net solution...ASP.NET Forums

There are others of course utilizing many different technologies. However the true bottom line is - Thanks Doug!

Back