What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Impossible Battery Location

GHARBEN

I have owned N12HR for about 10 months. The battery must be replaced. It is located between your feet in the lower part of the aircraft. To replace it will require the removal of the transponder, navcom, and cdi indicator. Also possibly other wires and vacuum hoses.
It appears that an access hole in the lower skin could cure this problem. Any thoughts or experences?
Thanks
G Harben
N12HR
RV 4

Thought about that too..

While I was building my -4, I gave a thought to a simple access door as you mention. After much pondering, i decided against it for several reasons. I also have some stuff in the way, but it's not bad to move it. Future plans will likely put the battery on the firewall, and be done with tunnel diving. I have been flying mine for 10 years, and dont really have much battery maintenance. I have it wired for a tender that has plug in oil door, and I use the Batteries Plus wheelchair battery that has been fly and forget..maybe just lucky!

Mine is in the same location, and to make matters worse, I have a center radio stack.
So yeah, it’s a half day job to replace the battery which is why I am on a three-year, mandatory replacement plan, whether it needs it or not.
I’d much rather deal with it in my own hangar.

If I could, I’d kick the builder in the behind for the design but that means I’d just be hurting myself ;)

When I redid the panel in my RV4 I removed the battery and put it on the engine side of the firewall. Extremely easy to service and you can reach the terminals thru the oil door if need be.

Sounds like moving the battery to the other side of the firewall is the answer. Should help the center of gravity also. Thanks for the help! In the meantime, I am headed to the airport to move the radios and replace the battery.
G Harben
N12HR

While we are talking about batteries. What battery is the best. I have to buy a new one. I have generally used Concord.
Thanks
G Harben
N12HR

While we are talking about batteries. What battery is the best. I have to buy a new one. I have generally used Concord.
Thanks
G Harben
N12HR

I use the Concord RG-25 XC.

I can;t use an Odyssey because I need that extra weight up front

The Odyssey is much smaller and easier for a firewall mount, but I do understand wanting weight in the nose on a 4 too.

You may want to consider a PC-680 on the firewall and a heavier crush plate for the propeller to maintain desired CG. Battery maintenance is much simpler and battery and crush plate may weigh less than current Concord after you’ve done the math.

Cheers,

Vac

Have you looked at the cover carefully? My -4 allows you unscrew the cover and radio stack and slide it to the side without having to unhook any wires. The gives you enough space to access the battery. It only takes a few inches of slack in the harnesses to allow this.

It is easier if you unscrew the forward top cover for better access.

Hopefully what you have is similar and not as much of a pain as it first appears.

Maybe moving it to the front of the firewall is just far enough that having the lighter weight Odessey battery is a wash, CG wise?

I mounted the radio stack above the battery with a hinge on the left side so that it could all be tilted up and left or the hinge pin could be removed and the stack withdrawn. It needs a bit of loose wiring to accomodate the movement.
It was a ten minute job to remove or replace a battery. I changed from Odyssey PC 680 to full river equivalent, cheaper and in my opinion more reliable.

Back