What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping suggestions??

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I purchased an MT prop from the Florida rep and they are currently awaiting its imminent arrival from the land of lederhosen and beer. The FOB price of the the assembled prop in FL was a great deal but the cost of shipping it quoted by MT was $1200 USD from FL to Edmonton, AB. That seems crazy high to me. The other option is $250 unassembled but of course I’d have to pay for assembly. Even then however it is still about half the price.

I’m wondering if I can find my own shipper to pick up the assembled prop in FL. Are there any suggestions on reputable companies that I may get quotes from? UPs is 100% disqualified. FedEx may be an option. Thoughts?

I had an MT prop shipped to me out here to CA from FL and it was about the same. The crate alone was ~$300. Ironic because I have a prop crate I could have sent them but just getting that back to FL was $750.

So now I just have a nice planter box.

Find a local prop shop who can do the assembly.

It comes from MT tested and ready to go, just needs assembling and checking.

That way freight is std - 4 boxes.

That is what I did with ours....... Yes it went to FL before the UK ;)

Wow. I had my Whirl Wind 200RV shipped from Ohio to Red Deer, AB a little less than 3 years ago and the freight was $305 US. Shipper was Donnelly Logistics with UPS Freight as the carrier. I hate UPS for cross border shipping, mostly because of their extreme brokerage costs. I used an online broker, clearit.ca which saved me a lot.

Thanks fellas. Based on your replies I?m going to have it shipped to the prop shop here that is authorized by MT.

Michael, how do they test the prop and have it ready to go if it?s never been assembled, or do they assemble it and then disassemble it?

There are MT dealers in BC, AB & MB. Maybe ask them about assembly deals or shipping through them, or their preferred shipping company.

Those shipping prices are crazy. I have a friend that deals in classic cars (in volume), he can ship a car across the country for less than $1200.

Those shipping prices are crazy. I have a friend that deals in classic cars (in volume), he can ship a car across the country for less than $1200.

I have a feeling that the $1200 is more than what the shipping company charges and is there to cover the ?included? assembly of the prop as well as crating and other charges. I sent a few emails requesting product weight and dimensions so that I could arrange my own shipping and was ghosted.

I remember back 10 years ago getting a 3 blade MT prop shipped from Florida, it too seemed a big price even back then. But it came in a monster big and HEAVY crate, so maybe the cost was justified...

I purchased an MT prop from the Florida rep and they are currently awaiting its imminent arrival from the land of lederhosen and beer. The FOB price of the the assembled prop in FL was a great deal but the cost of shipping it quoted by MT was $1200 USD from FL to Edmonton, AB. That seems crazy high to me. The other option is $250 unassembled but of course I?d have to pay for assembly. Even then however it is still about half the price.

I?m wondering if I can find my own shipper to pick up the assembled prop in FL. Are there any suggestions on reputable companies that I may get quotes from? UPs is 100% disqualified. FedEx may be an option. Thoughts?

If it arrives from Germany in the BIG box all assembled, I would just pay the $1200. and let them ship and insure the unit in the big box with the factory assembly vs the take down and reassembly risks.

If it arrives in Florida from Germany in pieces, then either you trust Florida or the local guys with the assembly.

Good Luck what ever you choose.

Shipping costs

That seems ridiculous. I had an IO-370 shipped from Arizona to Florida for less than $200 a yr ago where a friend used his company?s shipping acct. For an individual shipping companies charge crazy prices. Companies that have accounts with shipping companies are less so try finding someone who will use their acct to ship it for you. Also try shipping it someplace close to the US boarder side and pick it up yourself. I?m assuming shippers might charge a premium for crossing the boarder but I?m not sure. Not sure how far you are from the boarder but that might be an option

We use R & L Carriers. Wonderful company. We often have engines and aircraft parts shipped across the country. Good Luck!

Back