What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help requested, RV-6A Bremerton, WA area

OneCharlieKilo

Well Known Member
Help I'm looking for is due to serious life threatening medical challenges I am facing. I'm looking to see if someone can recommend an experienced, trusted RV-6A pilot in my area that would be willing to work out my plane once in a while until I can get it sold, and possibly even find a trusted network here that could help my wife and son get a fair price for it if I don't make it long enough to get the plane sold myself (wife is going to need the money, I don't want to give it away in fire sale).

If there's a -6A qualified / experienced CFI to help transition my 19 year old PPL'd son, that would be even better to get him to the point he can really help my wife out with selling if I can't. He has a fair amount of unlogged RV time with me and close to 15 hours logged with a bunch of landings, but he's still low time (about 90 hours) and I haven't let him solo it so he's not really up to demoing and he's so busy with college (UW) and Air Force ROTC activities that he has a hard time getting to the hangar.

I'm a 45 year old (tomorrow) active duty Navy officer with 26 and half years service so far, prior enlisted nuclear power electrician, former submarine officer, and current engineering duty officer. I was relieved from major command due to my illness but so far still on active duty as we fight and pray for a miracle.

I've been involved in RVs and building since 1994, starting my build in 1996. Educational background is Navy Electricians Mate electrical background made use of during electrical system and panel build, Bach degree in mechanical engineering from U of Washington, and Masters in Computer Science from Naval Postgraduate School. So I've only done a single build, but I've always been a hands-on, attention to detail guy with plenty of understanding on the systems - it's a quality build.

The add for my plane is in VAF classifieds thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=99832

If you're in the area, have a reasonable amount of RV-6A/7A experience, and think you can help, please drop me a line to my personal email: chris "at" ckhand.com

I recognize for anybody willing to help, we'd have to work out whatever is required to keep it legal and add you to my named insured. Not sure exactly yet what that needs to be.

In any case, thanks for taking a look, and may you all continue to enjoy good health and flying.

Best regards,

Chris Hand

Sorry to hear about the illness... I can't imagine.

There are a lot of RV pilots in the Arlington area, I'm sure one will chime in here or contact you directly. They would probably be your best bet.

Dear Sir, I?m touched by your story. So sorry to learn about this. Although I?ve neve personally seen an RV-6, If I could import the plane into Brazil, I would go there to take a look. But then, your story prompts me to think: what am I doing here behind a desk counting the minutes to be airborne again, if any of us, even the younger ones, can be surprised with the unexpected?
Well, I wish a miracle for you, that you can recover your good health, and be able to fly, and enjoy your lovely wife and children. Best of luck... Sergio.

Sad

This is a very sad post indeed. Sir, we're praying for your health to improve down here in Brazil. As Sergio put it, we feel like loosing time when we realise we're all so fragile and finite.
Don't give up, sir.
Best wishes,
Gregg

Chris,
You and your family are in our prayers. Seattle has a John G. Lake Healing room dedicated for that purpose. I have personally witnessed God's wonderful healing power many times. Thank you Brother Chris, for your Military service and the sacrifices that your family have also made..for our great country!

Sorry

Chris. I'm so sorry to hear of your situation..

A buddy of mine was over today to help me
Bolt on my wings on my 9a. He noticed a framed
picture above my work bench and asked whose plane
it was. I told him I did not know but I had it there as
my motivator. He mentioned that it looked to be the plane
For sale on VAF. I just saw the post and in fact it is.

I thought I would share this with you. Thanks for building
Such a beautiful looking plane and keeping me motivated to be in the
Sky one day.

My prayers go out to you and hope you get better
Soon.

thank you for your kindness

A buddy of mine was over today to help me
Bolt on my wings on my 9a. He noticed a framed
picture above my work bench and asked whose plane
it was. I told him I did not know but I had it there as
my motivator. He mentioned that it looked to be the plane
For sale on VAF. I just saw the post and in fact it is.

I thought I would share this with you. Thanks for building
Such a beautiful looking plane and keeping me motivated to be in the
Sky one day.

My prayers go out to you and hope you get better
Soon.

Thanks agirard7a. I'm glad my plane could be a motivator for you. My family is the pride and joy of my lifetime, even if cut short at 45, but having built and flown that plane is a major highlight too. Great memories of CA to OSH with my son in 2009, a number of great lunch trips with my wife, and the joy of opening the plane up for conditional inspections to see the Sharpie drawings my youngest left in there for me when she was helping the build in the jigs (I hope whoever ends up with my plane leaves those for eternity!). My 19 year old (90 hour PP) some day hopes to establish himself in a financial position to bring 731CK back into our family - I hope he succeeds and is one reason I'm hoping not to get into an export situation with my RV....keep it in the states where he can get it back easier some day.

This is a great community and I'm grateful for the many leads I'm getting on help for keeping my engine and systems running/healthy, and having options for demo flight options.

Last but not least, although the doctors are giving me very limited time, I am a man of faith and request all that are inclined to continue prayers for a good old fashioned miracle through prayer, or at least a much longer survival that what they are giving me odds for....

Best regards, and fly em while you got em cuz you don't know when you might get a kick in the gut like this.

Chris

Help

Chris
Prayers are with you....
It sounds like the best solution is to get your son flying the RV.... if they will be able to keep it.
if not, there is a friend at Lenhardts Airpark (7S9) near Aurora, OR. Tom Hinkley who has brokered the sale of RV's all over the world. He is honest, down to earth, and an all-around good guy.
I could put you in touch.
My email is [email protected]

Jim
RV-9A
300 + hrs....

Chris,

First of all, thank you for your service, and I am very very sorry to hear about your illness.

All I can do is point you to the CFI who transitioned me into my RV-6A after I bought it. He also did the pre-buy inspection (he's also an A&P, is currently building his second RV, and has helped countless people build and fix/modify their RVs and other experimentals such as Glasairs and Pittses). Top-notch guy: great pilot, great instructor, and ridiculously knowledgeable about RVs. He's in Arlington, though, which is a little ways away, but not that far away when you can do the trip at 200mph in a straight line :cool: PM me if you'd like me to get you in touch with him.

Back