What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cavanaugh Bay, ID video

It is a beautiful area and the landing over the lake is awesome! Great campsites and showers, a super restaurant, and a nice runway.

Wow! What a spectacular place!

It is a beautiful area and the landing over the lake is awesome! Great campsites and showers, a super restaurant, and a nice runway.

I've done approaches and landings over lakes, but never heard music :D -
Idaho IS spectacular.

It was great! I took off here around 630Am and the sun was almost half way up the sky. I even got up at 430 just to get myself packed and the sun was already rising!

I HIGHLY recommend this strip to anyone that hasn't been.

Cavanaugh 66S

Cavanaugh Bay is one of our favorite destinations. It is 1,279 miles from Home base. T67
We have to plan to get there, not a casual place to go. But we love it!

Last edited:
Cavanaugh Bay is great. Even before I had an RV, a couple months after I became a Private Pilot, Cavanaugh Bay was my first cross-country that was far enough to require a fuel stop somewhere during the round-trip. It was also my first overnight trip, requiring more careful weather research than I had ever done before. In short, it holds a special place in my heart. And once I had an RV, you can bet I visited 66S many times. The strip is the smoothest grass I have ever landed on, by far. None of that off-roading experience of bouncing up and down like at any other grass strip; This one is silky smooth, almost like a paved surface. And yes, Priest Lake is a lovely destination which can be enjoyed in many ways: 1, 2, 3. Would highly recommend it. (And no, I did not bring those kayaks in or on the RV!)

Last edited:
Yes, great place. Now could someone hop on over there this week and do a recon video? I would like a good PIREP for our plans the next weekend. :mad:

Yes, great place. Now could someone hop on over there this week and do a recon video? I would like a good PIREP for our plans the next weekend. :mad:

You can give the airport manager a call and he can tell you what is going on with the field. You can look it up on the idaho aviation website.

You can give the airport manager a call and he can tell you what is going on with the field. You can look it up on the idaho aviation website.

Thanks, This would have been our third Labor Day weekend there. 18 airplanes from our chapter going this year. I have been calling and talking to Allen, the camp and strip host. He is great.
Because of the fires and smoke from Washington we scrubbed the fly-out...

Back