What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Controls Did You Put on Your Stick?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just curious what builders are doing for controls on the stick. I'm inclined to be minimal with an elevator trim and radio click to talk, but would be interested in hearing what other controls are considered desirable.

Tosten CS 8, Trigger is PTT, below that is an almost hidden button used for A/P.

Top side--Cooley hat for pitch and yaw trim. Right top button for Comm freq swap, left button for XPNDR Ident.

PTT, AP disconnect, elevator trim and flaps.

Those get used nearly every flight (AP disconnect not 100% of the time).

I also have ident, freq flip flop for the comms, and one to swap between COM1 and COM2 for transmit. I basically never use those ... sometimes, on long flights, I play with them to remind myself what each one does.

In my case the grips and buttons were in the plane, and we decided to connect stuff up since we were in there redoing the whole electrical system.

In the -8, I’m only gonna have the first 4.

[I know some are not a fan of flaps on there, due to the risk of inadvertently lowering flaps. With the VPX, they will not deploy above whatever airspeed you program]

Thomas

In addition to trim and PTT, I have frequency flip flop, AP disconnect, and AP straight and level. Use all of them regularly.

2 Infinity Aerospace stick grips in my RV8

1. Flaps (Spring Loaded to Center/Off from Down, or Up Hold (Front Seat Only), Momentary Down Flaps move to next position, Select Up Hold Flaps Retract, Momentary Up Flaps Retract 1 position)
2. The coolie hat 4-way switch controls pitch and roll trim.
3. The green right side button on the stick controls which radio (Com 1 or 2) radio is active for transmit.
4. Red Trigger Radio PTT
5. The Black Momentary Autopilot Engage/Disengage Switch (Default Heading/Alt Hold Function)
6. EFIS Control Switch - This Up/Down switch is Spring Loaded to Neutral (Off position) and has 2 functions.
UP POSITION - If an EFIS Master Alarm is Generated momentarily selecting the upper position with your pinky finger will acknowledge this alarm.

DOWN POSITION - The EFIS has up to 9 different Master Display screens available, by momentarily selecting the down position with your pinky finger the EFIS will cycle through the various screens 1 at a time (1 -->9) then back to 1 and can repeat as needed.

7. Control Panel has 2 On/Off Switches which can disconnect the Front or Back Seat Stick Grips Ground connection if a Stick Function (Switch) becomes stuck. Can also deactivate the RV8 Rear Seat stick for certain passengers.

Attachments

• StickGrip.png
    StickGrip.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 361
You know with 60 coming soon and just VFR I'm from the keep it simple school. To me there is nothing simpler than having things like fuel boost pump, flaps, trim auto-pilot disconnect , radio flip flop, and PTT on the stick. There is no removing your hand from the control stick or throttle and eyes from outside to find switches. For example on touch down, flaps up and fuel boost pump off. I can do both faster than you could do one on the panel switches and eyes don't even get involved. When you get use to it it becomes so natural. I have two planes both with the same sticks and doesn't matter which plane I'm in, the controls for these functions are at the same location. In turbulence you want select the next frequency for landing , there is no fidgeting around looking for the button, it's right there , click.
I would not have it any other way, old school, what is easier to operate. Give it a try , you will love it.

Also kept it simple with only a push to start on the stick. PTT is on the throttle of my -8. Use an arming switch on the panel to avoid unintended starter engagement. All the trims are manual. First plane I’ve had like this and I like it.

Since I fly real IFR I want it simple when flying. So my Infinity stick is set up to reduce my workload if I have to make an approach to minimums in actual IMC. I don't have electric flaps so I use that switch to turn the fuel pump on/off.

Control Stick.jpg

After 7yrs and over 600hrs of flying, I wouldn't change a thing. YMMV

Last edited:
Pilot: Tosten grip. Hat switch for roll and pitch trim. Two top buttons for flaps. Front buttons for PTT and autopilot disconnect.

Copilot: PTT only

I’m pretty satisfied though I sometimes have a hard time remembering which button is flaps up vs. down.

This saves panel space vs having trim on the panel.

I had no interest in radio swap on the stick. It’s already on the radio right where I need it.

Last edited:
PTT only. Keep it simpler

+1 Too many builders have been playing too many video games. Too many people trying to be cool. These are simple planes so keep them simple because simple is safer. Having 4 or 5 functions on the stick is just asking for trouble....lots of fine wiring being flexed and moving constantly.

Personally I wouldn't even put trim on the stick. PTT only. To be honest I don't even like electric trim. I've had several planes with both electric and manual trim and I much prefer the intuitive nature, feedback and reliability of manual trim. I actually went to quite a lot of trouble on my RV7A to instal manual trim which I really love. It would have been much easier to instal the electric trim. On my copilot stick I don't even have PTT (it's on the panel). As a result i can remove that stick in about 10 seconds with its quick release mechanism. I find that very very handy for numerous reasons. If I flip over I plan to use that stick to break the canopy to get out if necessary.

Functions on the stick are extremely exposed and prone to inadvertent activation. You're trying to read a map and next thing you know you're activating your pitch trim.

Here is my CS8 setup. I really like the two side buttons, when I tune a frequency from my HDX it only puts it in the standby so I really like being able to use my flying hand to flop them. I also really like not having to avert my eyes from the pattern to monitor my standby frequency for a last minute weather check.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 172
KISS.

Elevator and Aileron trim, PTT, A/P D/C (also engages A/P when held down...Dynon feature), and Smoke.

I have trouble understanding why folks put things on there that are used rarely (boost pump? How often in flight do you need to turn it on, really?) or that there's no reason to rush to get to it (boost pump again, or flaps...and accidentally retracting your flaps on short final could be an eye-opening experience). I prefer to finish my landing, taxi off the runway, and then methodically clean up the plane (pump off, flaps up, wig-wags off, lean for taxi, etc.). There's no reason to hurry that while on the roll. And lastly, consider the consequence of inadvertently hitting any of those buttons...a momentary push on a trim or PTT isn't going to do anything, but let's imagine you accidentally flip-flop your radio and don't realize it, or deploy your flaps in cruise, etc. (True, accidentally hitting A/P D/C will do just that, but I get an audio alert that says "Autopilot Disconnect" if that happens).

But hey, to each his own and whatever floats your boat :)!

Tosten CS 8, Trigger is PTT, below that is an almost hidden button used for A/P.

Top side--Cooley hat for pitch and yaw trim. Right top button for Comm freq swap, left button for XPNDR Ident.

Almost same as above. Tosten CS-8. PTT, A/P Disconnect, Trim, Comm Freq Swap & Comm Radio Swap

Attachments

• SILKPFyxQgSe2z3zuO8V5Q.jpg
    SILKPFyxQgSe2z3zuO8V5Q.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 164
I have trouble understanding why folks put things on there that are used rarely (boost pump?
I use it every time I switch tanks while flying, which is several times per flight during the long distance actual IFR flying I often do. I do more than just $100 VFR hamburger runs in my plane.

You may rarely use the boost pump (or another feature) but that doesn't mean every one else does.

;)

Last edited:
but let's imagine you accidentally flip-flop your radio and don't realize it

I don't know about others but I always have my com on active and weather in the standby. If I flop frequencies by accident I will know it. I suppose others that fly in a busier area will likely have mutliple com freqs. in the same box though.

I had a comm flip flop on the stick of my 6. One day I couldn't understand why I wasn't handed off to another approach control while on flight following. I had accidentally pressed the stick button for comm swap. When I upgraded my panel to start IFR training, I removed that function; You do NOT want to accidentally swap freq's while on a clearance.

sometimes simpler is better. It is really not hard to reach over to the radio and press the swap button.

Larry

skip the flaps

I have what most have (PTT/Trim/AP disconnect), but doing it again I'd skip the flaps. In the RV-8 you can put the flap switch anywhere on the panel and it's very easy to get to. Can't recall ever using the flap switch on the stick except to test it.

I use it every time I switch tanks while flying, which is several times per flight during the long distance actual IFR flying I often do. I do more than just $100 VFR hamburger runs in my plane.

You may rarely use the boost pump (or another feature) but that doesn't mean every one else does.

;)

I do, too...but again, that's something that I can take my time doing. Skyview alerts me to switch tanks every 5 gallons, yawn, I reach up and turn on the boost pump, monitor pressure, switch the tank while monitoring pressure, wait a bit, then turn it off. What's the rush? Even at every 5 gallons, how does that amount of use compare to PTT or trim?

I don't do any IFR at the moment, but the plane and I are capable of it; we do take trips in her, so no need to get condescending.

Last edited:
I like having PTT, flaps, trim, and boost pump on the stick. Don't have to take a hand off the stick or the throttle/mixture/prop quadrant in the circuit (pattern in America) or in a go around. Seldom use the com repeat & autopilot disconnect is not active til I buy servos someday maybe.

Attachments

• STICK GRIP PLACARD1.png
    STICK GRIP PLACARD1.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I like having PTT, flaps, trim, and boost pump on the stick. Don't have to take a hand off the stick in the circuit (pattern in America) or in a go around.
EXACTLY... especially in a go around, when near minimums, in actual IMC where you have no time to yawn. I have rarely had to do this but the few times I have, having the stick set up this way was AWESOME!!! But, to each their own.

;)

Last edited:
On the Tosten grips, I have PTT on the trigger, AP disconnect top left, flaps (Showplanes positioner) top right, and coolie hat for aileron/elevator trim. I never have to take my hands off the stick and throttle for any reason in the immediate airport environment.

I'm still building, but I'm putting PTT, elevator trim, AP disconnect/CWS, TOGA and flaps on the pilot's Infinity stick. The passenger stick is only PTT.

This topic has come up any number of times, but I'll let you do the search(es).

There's been a lot, I mean a lot, of bluster about how cool you are with more things on the stick. To paraphrase what I learned at Boeing, functions have to earn their way onto the stick.

Qualifications for a switch to be needed on the stick:
* Needed in a hurry, like PTT, or autopilot disconnect, in case you see a thermal full of buzzards ahead. This is THE most important factor.
* Used often, like PTT or elevator trim. Secondary.

Disqualifications
* Anything where inadvertent actuation can cause a problem.

Don't forget that there is very little standardization on buttons on control sticks, so your solution may be a setup for the next person who flies the plane to get in trouble, or for you to build bad habits for the next plane you fly.

I didn't build my RV-9A, and the stick only has PTT. Putting other buttons on the stick would be a major, major pain. I've got TO/GA on the panel (works fine), autopilot disconnect is on the panel (see above comment about buzzards), and elevator trim is a rocker switch above the throttle. That would be okay were it not for the fuel pump switch right next to it which is hard to distinguish by feel alone, so that could be a good solution but isn't because of the neighborhood.

And it's also interesting that when it comes to human factors evaluations, people can fool themselves quite easily. When the Macintosh was being developed at Apple and they wanted to evaluate the mouse, they ran timed experiments of mouse vs arrow keys. All the subjects swore that the arrow keys were faster, but the stopwatch always voted for the mouse. Similarly, when well-intentioned folks talk about how cool it is to have all those buttons on the stick, there's a very good chance that they're fooling themselves...

Last edited:
Infinity Aerospace stick grip for my RV-8

PTT, Aileron&Pitch trims, Flaps, A/P disengage, smoke on/off, swap stby radio freq.

Simpicity?

Well I guess "simple"means different things to different people! To some it means having many functions on the stick for flying, but to me it's keeping the installation simple, reliable, and safe from inadvertent actuation.

Something the OP might like to consider, that nobody seems to mention, is that high power functions such as the boost pump and flaps must be operated via a relay since the small stick switches can't handle the loads required. This adds complexity, weight and cost for little gain. Remember "Simplicate and add lightness!'

Also, these planes have sticks, and you can only hold a stick with one hand. What is the other hand doing? If it is on the throttle, then why not place other important switches so they can be reached with your hand on the throttle? way simpler if you ask me!

Also, these planes have sticks, and you can only hold a stick with one hand. What is the other hand doing? If it is on the throttle, then why not place other important switches so they can be reached with your hand on the throttle? way simpler if you ask me!

Well one consideration for that would be removing your eyes from "outside" to "inside", even for the split second that it would require. Close formation flight, or an IFR approach to minimums, or in the flare feeling for the runway, come to mind as times when you would really rather not do that.

Now granted, the number of critical items you might need then is pretty small - but the point remains. There are some phases of flight (short though they may be) when you really don't need your attention/eyesight diverted.

Stick functions

HOTAS (Hands on throttle and stick)cockpit.
Infinity Grip
Coolie hat -trim
top right - smoke on/off
Top left switch - radio flip flop
Switch- flaps
Trigger - PTT
Bottom - autopilot disengage
Throttle Quadrant
Landing/taxi lights- switch
Boost pump-switch
Smoke arm -switch
Horn- push button
Been flying it this way for 9 years. Real tribute to Infinity and my Friend Deene who wired it all together!

Everyones a bit different

From top to bottom, Infinity Stick Grip

Upper Left
Toggle Switch Flaps Up/Down

Middle
Coolie Hat Switch Aileron/Elevator Trim

Upper Right
Green Button Starter

Trigger Switch Radio PTT

Left Middle
Black Button ADS-B Acknowledge

Lower Left
Blue Button Switch Fuel Pump

I have Infinity stick in the rear seat as well. Starter, Fuel Pump and ADS-B not active. Others active if Master Rear Stick Grip is on (panel mount), PTT always hot front and rear (at least you can call for help).

I have two Infinity's in my -8 build. My pal customized a stock Vans Throttle Quadrant. On the stick: 1. Flaps. 2. Coolie Hat does pitch and roll trim. 3. Starter. 4. Red trigger PTT. 5. A/P Disengage CWS. 6. Fuel Pump. On the Throttle: 1. Com replay with ATC. 2. Coolie Hat does Com1/Com2 switch and flip flops. 3. User defined waypoint on the 650. 4. Red Trigger is TO/GA switch. 5. Transponder Ident 6. Spare

One more vote for KISS.
I chose no grip not even a foam thingie because I fly most of the time with my wrist on my knee, and two or three fingers holding the stick several inches down.

Other than the PTT on the top I put an A/P disconnect switch down on the side.

Attachments

• simple_stick.jpg
    simple_stick.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 211
Back