What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tunnel access panel

msmst25

Well Known Member
I've tried searching the forums and google, but I haven't had any luck. I've heard that it is a good idea to put in an access panel in the tunnel, and I was wondering if anybody had pictures and/or plans of how they did this. I've tried numerous different search terms, and nothing seems to bring up the right option. Thanks for your help.

As others have done, You might also consider making the top cover of the tunnel more than one piece. We cut ours four screws back from the firewall, then at the fuel selector, (it slides under the third panel at the join) then just behind the front seats, so finished up with four panels. The first just behind the firewall basically stays put, the panel top to access the fuel system is a lot easier to remove if you don’t have to get those eight front screws out. The third panel is under our home grown console, so just behind the front seats, the fourth gives access to the flap motor. Used the original cover and riveted extensions under one of each at the joins with Nutplates (we used four on the top) also one extra Nutplate on each side at every join. (if the cuts are made just past the side screws then easy enough to add one extra so each panel has the same security. Cheers from Western Australia

As others have done, You might also consider making the top cover of the tunnel more than one piece. We cut ours four screws back from the firewall, then at the fuel selector, (it slides under the third panel at the join) then just behind the front seats, so finished up with four panels. The first just behind the firewall basically stays put, the panel top to access the fuel system is a lot easier to remove if you don’t have to get those eight front screws out. The third panel is under our home grown console, so just behind the front seats, the fourth gives access to the flap motor. Used the original cover and riveted extensions under one of each at the joins with Nutplates (we used four on the top) also one extra Nutplate on each side at every join. (if the cuts are made just past the side screws then easy enough to add one extra so each panel has the same security. Cheers from Western Australia

I also cut my top into three pieces. First cut was about 8" back from the firewall. This eliminates taking out the tough screws when doing inspections. I do not have a tunnel access panel and just did my first cond insp. No issue at all in pulling the fuel filter and having the cover off allows a much more thorough inspection of everything in the tunnel.

Just another data point for those on the fence.

Larry

I cut my cover about 8” from the firewall just in front of the pedals and again just in front of the Aerosport armrest.
I didn’t put in access panels which is a major regret at each annual. My interior is done with Zolatone and a special mix of colors. If you can, add them just when you get the tunnel sides out of the kit box.

Vans do an access hole cover plate thingamabob.

Cheap and about the right size for all sorts of access.

Back