What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter media knife

rjcthree

Well Known Member
What do the pros use for an oil filer media cutter? I’ve tried a couple of different methods but nothing stands out. So far the best for me has been the extendable snap off blade fate tempter kind of knife, but I’m wondering if a nice filleting knife might’ve be a safer and longer lasting solution?

Serrated bread knife

You need a longer blade than an extendable snap off knife.
The edge of a filet knife will dull against the oil filter center.
The serrated knife will cut the heavy paper well.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

P.S. A hacksaw blade might contaminate the filter paper with chips from the metal oil filter center tube.

Plus 1 on the serrated bread knife. Works great and is pretty safe, keeping your hands farther from the cutting area.

I use a Dewalt extendable blade knife with good success. It has heavier blades than the disposable extendable knives. Found at big box stores.

I am just about [8 hours] to do my first oil change in my IO-360-A1B which has about 1400 hours SMOH. I had planned on sending a sample of the oil to an oil testing lab. Had not considered destructive evaluation of the removed oil filter. Which is better?

Both

Send sample for trends.... open filter and review locally. I send samples and base opening filter on the lab sample findings.

I am just about [8 hours] to do my first oil change in my IO-360-A1B which has about 1400 hours SMOH. I had planned on sending a sample of the oil to an oil testing lab. Had not considered destructive evaluation of the removed oil filter. Which is better?

They measure different things...

Oil screen filters out stuff with parts numbers on it, oil filter catches stuff that gets past the screen and keeps your oil cleaner down to 20-30 microns, and the oil analysis can tell you trends in wear you can’t see visually. They all complement each other.

Try this...

I've tried multiple ways to cut the oil filter media away from the filter itself. Most of the ways I've tried I feel like I'm about to cut a finger off. All of them create a huge mess. With one exception.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/fmc2000oiltercutter.php

Yeah, it's expensive. But once you use it, you'll never go back to the old way of cutting the media off. It works on "long" filters (6.19" long) and "short" filters (4.38" long). If you use Tempest filters, you'll need to get the adapter that works for Tempest filters. The adapter works for both long and short Tempest filters.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Last edited:
I used to use a hacksaw to cut the paper from the end plates but lately I've been using a Stanley utility knife with the "heavy duty" blades, which are a bit longer than the light duty ones. You cut through all the paper pleats and lastly take pliers and break away the bent strip which holds the pleats together.

81WaNWhh4XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've tried multiple ways to cut the oil filter media away from the filter itself. Most of the ways I've tried I feel like I'm about to cut a finger off. All of them create a huge mess. With one exception.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/fmc2000oiltercutter.php

Yeah, it's expensive. But once you use it, you'll never go bad to the old way of cutting the media off. It works on "long" filters (6.19" long) and "short" filters (4.38" long). If you use Tempest filters, you'll need to get the adapter that works for Tempest filters. The adapter works for both long and short Tempest filters.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

That looks like a good tool for an EAA chapter, or a group of guys at an airport to go together on. Pass it around, charge $10 per use. Buy beer with the money!:p

tool

That looks like a good tool for an EAA chapter, or a group of guys at an airport to go together on. Pass it around, charge $10 per use. Buy beer with the money!:p
Indeed, but everyone needs to use the same brand of filter. I've only used Champion filters - any idea why the tool would need to be different for a Tempest or Kelly?

Indeed, but everyone needs to use the same brand of filter. I've only used Champion filters - any idea why the tool would need to be different for a Tempest or Kelly?

The internal components of the Champion, Tempest and Kelly filters are slightly different from each other. They make adapters for these filters (about $100 per adapter). Yeah, if you were going to get this for a group, get all the adapters. If you plan to get this for yourself and you only use one type of filter, then no need for any additional adapters obviously.

Like I said, it's expensive. But it's a very high quality tool. It actually does something I didn't think could happen. It makes cutting off oil filter media fun...

Jeff

Cutting filter media

Lots of ways to do this, but a hacksaw or just a hacksaw blade work fine. Saw thru the paper until you contact the center tube and work your way around. Once the paper element is removed I divide it into 3 or 4 sections, wrap in a paper towel and squeeze it hard in a vice. This removes most of the oil and makes the looking for debris easier. Run a magnet over the whole outer surface of the paper to find steel particles that can be hard to see. Oil analysis is a whole different thing on a microscopic level. I’ve seen good oil sample reports on engines that had significant metal in the filter. Don’t forget about the suction screen on the oil sump. I once found part of a gear tooth checking that.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I used to use a hacksaw to cut the paper from the end plates but lately I've been using a Stanley utility knife with the "heavy duty" blades, which are a bit longer than the light duty ones. You cut through all the paper pleats and lastly take pliers and break away the bent strip which holds the pleats together.

+1 on the utility knife - quick and easy

Attachments

• stanley-utility-knives-10-099-64_1000.jpg
    stanley-utility-knives-10-099-64_1000.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 92
Utility knife for end cuts and serrated steak knife for radial cuts -- hack saw blades tend to create bits and pieces of filter material which can complicate your visual assessment of debris. Pliers are also useful in removing recalcitrant filter pleating.

How about an electric carving knife? I have not tried one but I've often thought that electric knife would make the job a breeze.

I think my wife needs a new knife this year for the turkey :)

OLFA brand utility knives featuring the 25mm heavy duty blades, models: XH-1, XH-AL, H-1, & EH-1, all using the HB blade.
I always use a new blade on each filter, clean cutting.

Well, my 'ole buddy Troy (RIP) got pretty far into a bottle of Scotch one night, and what does he see on TV? Fifty assorted pocket knives for a remarkably low price (plus only $19.95 S&H). Being an opportunity not to be missed, he whipped out his credit card, and the rest is history.

Most were **** of course, but hey, a cheap 5" Chinese pocket knife works great on filters ;)

Best one I've found. Used it this morning. Effortless. Less than $10 at WalMart. Good Cook bagel knife.

Attachments

• 5552AB9C-972D-42C1-8611-CC7351502F97.png
    5552AB9C-972D-42C1-8611-CC7351502F97.png
    2 MB · Views: 92
You do not have to cut all the way to the core. I use a utility knife and cut about 3/4 of the way through the media by pushing the blade down at each pleate peak. then I pull the media out in a string, ripping the last 1/4. It comes out very easy.

Conetta fighting knife found by my wife in the grass at my mom's assisted living facility! No idea of how it ended up there. A bit rusty, but sharpened to a razor edge with my Lansky stones. Push down with two hands and roll the core down the bench. Works great and feels good.
Like this one:

Attachments

• conetta-mark-military-vietnam-era_1_db8192bbbed4a3dfe9e20acbe8408699.jpg
    conetta-mark-military-vietnam-era_1_db8192bbbed4a3dfe9e20acbe8408699.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 82
Back