What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder Coat Pedals?

Bill,
I have powder coated pedals, but haven't flown yet. Just a thought though...many places offer additives to get texture in the application. Could be nice to have a "rough" powder coat rather than a "smooth" for grip.

Bill,
I have powder coated pedals, but haven't flown yet. Just a thought though...many places offer additives to get texture in the application. Could be nice to have a "rough" powder coat rather than a "smooth" for grip.

I like being able to slide my feet up and down and the texture may also allow additional wear due to the grip.

I have Type III black anodize on my 14 and they look new after 300+ hours of flying but I have another project that I was considering powder coating the pedals as they aren't as cosmetically nice as the RV pedals were.

But I wasn't sure how well powder coat would hold up to hundreds of hours of abuse.

I powder coated my pedals black. 150 hours and they look as good as new. :)

I had mine hard anodized. Not used yet though. I was able to find a place that would do a minimum lot for a reasonable cost.

You might also consider Cerakote, the gun finishing material. We have a gent here that does many of our parts and it's quite durable.

Unlike powder, if you need to remove it, you can blast it off. Blasting powder coated parts is often an exercise in futility. Ugh.

Same here. Anodized red.

Ditto. 8 years later and still look terrific (but I change into my "flying shoes" when I enter the plane, so I don't drag all sorts of grit from the tarmac into the plane and on the bottom of my shoes to grind onto the pedals).

Nothing at all wrong with making them pretty if that is what you want, but there are better places to spend your money. The pedals hold up just fine with no coating and look just fine, plus wear an tear from shoes is not an issue.

I painted the pedals in my Midget Mustang with rattle can red. I baked them in my oven (I'm single so I get away with this stuff). I sold the plane with 170 hours on the rework and they still looked brand new. Pretty impressed.

I wouldn't want any kind of anti-slip treatment on the pedals as I like to be able to slide my toes up and down on the pedals.

Attachments

• Controls-Painted-1.jpg
    Controls-Painted-1.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 238
I painted the pedals in my Midget Mustang with rattle can red. I baked them in my oven (I'm single so I get away with this stuff). I sold the plane with 170 hours on the rework and they still looked brand new. Pretty impressed.

I wouldn't want any kind of anti-slip treatment on the pedals as I like to be able to slide my toes up and down on the pedals.

What temp and how long? I presume this hardens the paint?

I worked with a few painting job shops, spending 34 years in the industrial paint and coatings removal business.

A lot of enameling shops use 450 to 500F for "WET" paint. It does vary some from one brand and or type to another.

Powder coaters use from 400 to 950F depending on the type of powder being applied. There are many different powder coatings including ceramics. Some are not so good in sunlight, some are exceptionally wear resistant. These characteristics can change from color to color, because the pigment is a sizeable portion of the volume of what is applied.

I can't find my notes on it, but I'm pretty sure it was 250* for about 15 minutes. I left the parts in the oven and just let them cool as the oven cooled once the heat was turned off.

I have to admit, this was a bit of farmer logic with no real science or study behind the concept. I figured if professional car painters "baked" their paint jobs, then why not give it a whirl. One of my ongoing complaints with rattle can Krylon type paint is that it takes forever to get hard and fully cure. This seemed to do the trick.

I had mine coated at a truck bed liner shop (Line-X). I liked the pebble finish, they look like new after 5 years, and figured should be the most durable if it works in a truck bed, which seems to be true.

“Bake until done, or when a toothpick comes out clean....”. Oh wait, that’s for cupcakes!

I’ve baked many parts in an old toaster oven in the shop in the past, and there’s no science behind my technique - I use temps about 250 - 300 degrees and let it go for maybe an hour, or until I can’t stand the smell. Makes a nice finish!

Back