What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Epoxy Primer

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I used AKZO green primer last time (463-12-8/CA-116).

I liked the hardness/toughness, quick dry, etc. But I wish it was a different color.

What epoxy primer wears like AKZO and has the same fluid resistance but is dark grey?

Stewart Systems EkoPoxy gives you color choices (light and dark gray). It is a waterborne 2 part epoxy. I used Akzo as well and like the product, but looking for something that isn't so toxic in future projects.

I used both Stewart's epoxy primer, which I liked, and Eastwood's rattle-can epoxy primer, which is okay. The Eastwood is certainly convenient, if expensive and wasteful.

Stewart's epoxy has had people comment about it being hard to apply. I found it quite straight-forward and had no real trouble. Like I said, I like it.

Can't comment on durability or fluid resistance, though, for any of these.

My landing gear legs are Azko's green epoxy primer, and it's durable.

One thing that might not matter to you, is that both Stewart's and Azko's (no info on Eastwood's) can be epoxied to, and will develop a structural bond. For me, that was a plus on the main gear legs, because of the wooden stiffeners. But I haven't gotten that far yet.

Dave

southern polyurethanes makes an excellent and affordable epoxy primer. However, the grey is between light and medium.

Larry

Back