What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for G3Xpert - Autopilot/Audio Panels

JohnD.TF4

Hi G3Xpert,

Do you know if Garmin has plans to make any of their modules in a vertical orientation? I?m thinking specifically of the GMC 307 Autopilot controller. I occasionally fly a G1000 C-182 and really like the location of the knobs in relation to the screen. Same with the audio panels. Don?t get me wrong, I love the G3Xs touch screen capabilities (vast improvement over G1000), but for some things it?s just handy to have physical knobs.

I?m curious to see what other folks have to say as well.

Thanks!

+1
I loved my G3X touch setup in my 7 but always thought that the concept of the small remote tuner / AP knob panels that Dynon have are a great idea.
I?m really surprised Garmin doesn?t have something similar.
IMHO all functionality accessed via touch screens Isn?t that great, especially in busy airspace, turbulence or IFR. (Or all 3 :eek:)

OTOH the setup and orientation of the GMC 507 is very similar to what you see in most commercial aircraft, bizjets etc. I wouldn't change it myself, but from a technical perspective it shouldn't be too hard to offer it in different physical forms including "split" or vertical versus horizontal.

787:

IMG_20190715_123249-e1563396604535.jpg

G650:

G650FLIGHTDECKGROUND.jpg

King Air Garmin retrofit:

garmin4-640x339.jpg

Last edited:
G3X Autopilot Controllers

+1
I loved my G3X touch setup in my 7 but always thought that the concept of the small remote tuner / AP knob panels that Dynon have are a great idea.
I’m really surprised Garmin doesn’t have something similar.
IMHO all functionality accessed via touch screens Isn’t that great, especially in busy airspace, turbulence or IFR. (Or all 3 :eek:)

The GMC 307 mentioned in the original post is one of our panel mount autopilot controllers for the G3X autopilot. It includes knobs for both altitude and heading/track, as well as dedicated buttons for each autopilot mode selection.

We do not have any plans for a vertically oriented version of the GMC 307 or 507 at this time but we are always open to considering new feature requests.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Back